Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Open SuSE 10.2 and nVidia CK804 NIC problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadBigBen

MIS
Feb 8, 2003
DE
hope someone can enlighten me on the following problem:

Open SuSE 10.2 64bit (and previous versions) install correctly on a TYAN S2895 mobo, everything works but the NIC's (there are two one controlled by the nVidia Chipset 2200 aka CK804 and the other through the nVidia Chipset 2050)...

when I check the router, it tells me that NIC (eth0) has gotten an IP adress... but when I check ifconfig, per shell, it does not list the IP adress, but tells me that eth0 is installed with the correct MAC...

basically I am stumped...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Thnx for the input... but I have also tried another Network Interface Card from 3Com and Intel, and all three behave the same...

Ben

Are you using DHCP? Try using ifconfig (as root) to assign an IP to test. You can use YaST2 to assign it permanently.

Code:
ifconfig eth0 <ip.address.of.machine> netmask <netmask.of.your.network>

Verify the modules for you NIC is loaded by using [tt]lsmod[/tt] and [tt]dmesg[/tt].

I know this not the time but I freaking hate nVidia and their proprietary drivers. It's slim pickings for non-nVidia mobo chipsets these days. [evil]

Have Fun!

I have also tried that... but no go...

it seems strange that the 32 bit version works without any problem, straight from the box, even a Live Knoppix CD works...

I have even gone as far as to install the nVidia's own drivers (nvnet), they install properly and the modules for both are loaded correctly... but still I do not get any connection to the outside world...

I agree with you there about the nVidia chipset, nothing but a pain in the assets (you get the drift)...

but the way it looks like at present, I won't be having the headache too much longer, am about to switch jobs and I'll let my present boss handle the darn thing...

thnx for the input none the less...

Ben

Solution:

revert to an older BIOS version and everything works...

previous BIOS version: 1.05.2895

hope this helps those with similar problems on a TYAN motherboard...

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back