Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Open SSH Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsekhar

Technical User
Dec 4, 2002
US
Hi,

I have installed open SSH on my sunfire V100 following the instructions at and strangely I am unable to ftp into the box. My SSH with putty works fine, but I have used many sftp clients like cute FTP, Secure SFTP and PSFTP (from putty), but unable to transfer files.
1. Using PSFTP and Secure SFTP I am able to atleast connect and the transfer times out
2. Cute FTP is unable to connect to the server.
I have made sure it is connecting to port 22.
Any help will be appreciated

There is probably a number of configurations required (as with ftp) like /etc/ftpusers etc..., also check your /etc/ssh/sshd_config to confirm where it thinks sftp is (usually seen in the last line of config file).

I do not use sftp with Openssh I use scp (secure copy), try it: scp /some/local/filename user@somenost.com:/some/remote/path/

for example scp this_test.doc laurie@my.com:/tmp would copy my local file this_test.doc into the /tmp directory on a remote machine.

You can copy the otherway with:
scp user@somenost.com:/home/someuser/afile.doc . {note the dot which means here.}

Good Luck
Laurie.

Hi,

I have used scp and that also gives
"Fatal: Network error: Connection reset by peer"
I am able to download though. I have used FTP, SSH and SCP only download works, I guess there is some setting somewhere which I am missing. I have solaris 8 02/02edition installed.

Any pointers???

Thanks

Hmm! Ok things to try:

1) I assume you have telnet or ssh access into your sunfire? so login and do a netstat -l {I'm a little rusty on Solaris as I've been heads down in Linux for past 12 months) so it may be netstat -a for you and see that its listening on 22 ssh (doh! I guess you would have said if ssh was not working?) anyway.

2) Looking at sunfreeware instructions, can I assume you added the tcpwrappers pkg? if so it could be a configuration problem with the wrappers, take a look at /etc/... hell its been a while ... ok sorry /etc/hosts.allow & /etc/hosts.deny for a clue

Hmm .... ??
3) do a tail -f /var/log/messages (or in your case /var/adm/messages, (sorry I know its quicker to use the backspace than correct myself from running in parrel Linux/Solaris mode), and try a scp while watching for errors in the messages file.

4) have you tried locally from on your sunfire: scp /tmp/somefile.doc user@localhost:/tmp/some_newfilename.doc and see if its a WAN problem or a LAN issue.

Ok that will give you somthing to work on.

Good Luck.
Laurie.

Hi Laurie,

Thanks for trying to help me out!!
Telnet, ssh is working I am able to connect to the server, tried to see /var/adm/messages but no messages when I do a scp and locally its fine able to do transfer using scp

My main problem is even regular FTP does not work on the system. I am able to connect and download files, but unable to upload files of size greater than 30KB.
Is the info I provided useful to help?

Thanks

Ok so Im guessing here, Sunfire is in an ISP ? and you have access via ssh/telnet ok from a machine on the internet?

|Sunfire|--->|!ISP FW!|~~~~> Internet ~~~>|Client| ?

So if you dont have access to another server on the same lan as the sunfire this could be a difficult one as we can't eliminate the ISP Firewall (if my cristal ball diagram is correct).

Now I've come across this issue of file size before but for the life of me I dont remember the outcome, I'll have to sleep on it. but it's not an issue with openssh so thats good.

Thinking .......??? ....

Hi,

yes the sunfire machine is located at a Data center.
But I have another linux box sitting next to the sunfire and have no problems with the linux. SSH, SFTP everything works fine.

Thats it then either the data center has a firewall config that is causing the problem or you have a proxy/firewall issue your end.

Laurie.

1. But I am able to access my linux box fine. Both the boxes are connected from the same switch.
2. If I am behind a firewall should it not allow give me the same problem with the linux box?

Thanks for your help!!!

Ok yes your probably right It's me being hasty!

Last thing to check, how is the network interface configured?

10/100Mbit Auto
100Mbit FULL
100Mbit Duplex

??

Probably needs to be 100Mbit FULL (Not Auto negotiate)

Linux is real good with interfaces Solaris not so good.

Hi,

I made the interface 100MBit full duplex and disabled auto negotiate. Still does not work

Check that the interface is actually running properly at 100MbFDX.
Have you locked the switch port to 100MbFDX as well ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back