Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Open Source consulting firm

Status
Not open for further replies.

hthb

Programmer
Jul 20, 2004
IS
I have this idea of a business. There is no equivalent firm offering these services where I am located (yet).
Apparently, Open Source software is on the rise. Where I am located, I think it's just a matter of time when the government starts moving from proprietary to open solutions. The big problem with Open Source is lack of support. So I was thinking to start a business which offers support for various open source software, like Compiere, PostgreSQL, Mambo Open Source, Type9, Debian, and many others. What do you think of this idea and how should one start off? I'm not looking for direct answers, but a discussion on the subject. Thanks

Visit for a free, no need to register, .doc (MS Word) to .pdf (Acrobat) file conversion.

I think that's a great idea and have thought about doing something similar. I too would like to hear others' opinions on this.

hthb, would you support only specific software or whatever your client needs?

Well, I didn't even think of supporting whatever the client needs. If the client needs something I have never heard of I could be in big trouble, but then again, my experience with working with open source programmers (authors of projects) and how the Open Source business model works could in itself be worth something.

My initial idea was to support something which is fairly big, complete, but with little or no commercial support (e.g. PostgreSQL).

Visit for a free, no need to register, .doc (MS Word) to .pdf (Acrobat) file conversion.

I think that the focus of any successful consulting practice is the client, of course. I don't know how many companies are implementing large open-source database and CRM systems, then looking for someone to support thost products.

I'd imagine that your niche is more likely to be with companies that need to upgrade or expand their technology and you would be the one to prescribe low- or no-cost software to do that.

To specialize in open-source, I'd evaluate and pick the top one or two packages in each segment and concentrate on "selling" and supporting those rather than trying to handle every FOSS product. It's just varied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back