Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Open Source Adeona Tracks Lost & Stolen Laptops 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyec

Technical User
Aug 20, 2004
US

just ran across this, installed and tested it and it worked like a charm.

be sure to read the FAQ and other documentation provided

Interesting. I will have to look into it further. I may put it on all three of my college bound kids' laptops.

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

am in the process of loading it on my college kids' laptops as well.

I don't have a laptop or a concern of one, but in an initial read of the concept on site (just out of interest to guage a full benefit of this):

1. For a tracking program like this to work, wouldn't it have to be undetected to the user upon general inspection (not in Add/Remove programs, no Start Menu folder, no icons, etc)? If known like this, all it would take to defeat it is to not go on the net until the program is removed.

2. For a "usage tracks" program (what it sounds like - logging IP, potentially taking webcam shot, etc), coupled with #1 (if all true), that would make this program a legitimate candidate for spyware and would likely be added to the databases of Spybot, SuperAntiSpyware, etc., turning detecting a program such as this into a lead-pipe cinch.

Even if #1 is false, I can imagine spyware authors jumping on this source and making good use of it (the encryption part, I'm sure, if it's good, but I'm sure other parts might be interesting, too), putting all programs that would be based on this code into the anti-spyware databases. Or someone simply not loading this onto their laptop, but a enemy/friends laptop/desktop.

And if #1 and #2 are true, that would make this program utterly moot in short order.

I wonder if this point has been addressed by the author?

----------
Measurement is not management.

quick note:
make the program folder Hidden and it will not show on the Start Menu

still playing with it but as the documentation says, this is to catch the common theif not an exoerienced hacker

nor on the Add/Remove Programs list

tried it on a Vista machine . . .VISTA Sucks!
will keep at it for a little longer before i run it as compatable with XP SP2 and see if that does it.

I wonder if this point has been addressed by the author?

They talk about it in their FAQ on the site.

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

ok, got it working under Vista finally.

had to start and stop the Client thru the Services interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back