Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Open Server Future beyond 5.06

Status
Not open for further replies.

abovebrd

IS-IT--Management
May 9, 2000
US
Does openserver have a future ? -Danny
dan@snoboarder.net

I certainly hope so! It is a darn sight more stable than any Linux variant I have used and more scalable!

5.0.7 is due out this summer, so Caldera is continuing OS5 development.

But, it is definately an end of life product.

New apps and especially drivers for new hardware will become increasingly hard to find.

And OS5 will never support Java 1.4 and above - no native support for threads.

OpenUnix (the renamed Unixware) product is also loosing support internally at Caldera.

And major software like Oracle no longer certify it. Caldera is pushing Oracle under the LKP (Linux kernel personality), but this is officially unsupported by Oracle.

Bummer. When Caldera bought SCO I had hopes they could market the Unixes better than the very lame marketing efforts of SCO.

But they are clueless - they're driving the users even faster to Linux.

I think openserver is caldera's money making avenue, if they stop developing it, they will fold, especially since their version of linux is not that powerfull.
I think, and I hope for the sake of my employer, openserver's future is secured and stable.

Trouble with java 1.3 under SCO 5.0.6

I'm having trouble getting JavaTM 2, Standard Edition, v. 1.3.0_02 to run scripts under SCO 5.0.6. It installed correctly but I get the following errors when I try to run even simple scripts such as InfoNoGui.class:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: InfoNoGUI/class

Any ideas?

SCO is soon releasing their Unixware 7.1.3 which will replace OpenUnix 8.

Hello abovebrd,

What a mistake Caldera made pushing their own products! They really should have stated that SCO unix HAS a future initially - its a bit late now. We use UNIFACE 4GL to write our software and surprise - SCO doesn't play a part in their drivers so now we have to move to Windows Micros***. They really should have taken over SCO to advance it not bury it!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back