Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Open Resolver Malware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluejay07

Programmer
Mar 9, 2007
CA
Hello,

I'm not sure if this would be the correct forum or not but I thought that it might be a good placed to start.
I have also cross post this in thread950-1730818.

We received a comment from a client.

"The (internet provider) tech said that we may have a possible infection and they believe it to be on one of our IP addresses - he called it an 'open resolver malware' and suggested that we should have someone check and/or configure our router."

How would we go about resolving this issue? How does one deal with an open resolver issue?

Thanks.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving wasn't meant for you!

How would we go about resolving this issue? How does one deal with an open resolver issue?

What have you done so far? Sounds like you have multiple machines? Do you have an IT support person of any sort? That would be your first step - that person should at least know how to get started. The ISP rep told you to check your router. Have you checked the router?

I'm not trying to come across rude or arrogant, but you're really not telling us much, you're not giving us much to go on.

We don't know anything about your setup - do you have any sort of a centralized system ... such as a server/desktop setup, or do you have a cloud setup, or do you just have a handful of computers conected ofer a "home network".. so you're asking for how to fix something when we don't know the systems, the symptoms, the hardware, nothing.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Hi Kjv1611,

Thanks for the response.

As stated in my first thread, that was a comment from one of our clients.
It's not my computer or a network in my office.

I can't tell you much because I don't have any other information.
This would be for an office network. I am not certain if they have a dedicated IT staff or department.

Since I have never dealt with anything like this before, I am trying to read up on open resolver so that we can provide the client with some more information.

What should they check for on their router?

Unless the router is also running as a public DNS server or there is a DNS server actually running on the network that is externally accessible, (by having port 53 forwarded across the router) allowing recursive requests from external clients the I.S.P. tech is somewhat confused.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the response.
I'll pass on that information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back