Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Open Relay ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 10, 2003
US
Our mail server recently crashed and had to be rebuilt. I think that during the change our server settings for being an open "RELAY" are on. It's been a while since I have seen any such settings. How do I find out if our exchange server "open relay" settings are on?

Any help would be glady appreciated.

Vanilla

Ok I hope you are not an open relay .. its a pain to fix and a bigr pain to get off the black lists.

Go to and submit your hostname or ip .. let the tests run and they will tell you if you are or are not an open relay.

If you are an open relay then you need to go to or search these forums to find out how to fix the issue and get yourself off the balck list.

Hope it helps.

Yosh

Apart from testing your mail server as correctly yoshie indicates you can open exchange administrator go to configuration > connections > Internet Mail Service (IMS) > properties > routing. If you have selected the "reroute incoming smtp...." option then press routing restrictions. If you have the two first boxes checked then you re not an open relay if not you are. But also check this post and the resolution i propose in the end because even if you have relay problem fixed by configuring routing restrictions you may still be an open relay check the links to my previous postings.

thread10-655444 Luck
George

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back