Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Open jpg in anything but web browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdmatt

Technical User
Dec 17, 2007
US
I have an application that opens construction drawings, some are tifs and some are jpgs (total drawings, 40000+). When a tif is selected windows opens the local default tif viewing application (for me MO Document Imaging). When I open a jpg, my web browser is the viewer (IE7 or Firefox) not my local default viewer. Is there a way to force an application to open or maybe a way to bypass the web browser as a viewer. Thank you for any help that you can offer.
Here is my code...

<cfif FORM.searchtype IS "DPWProjectImages">
<cfset fileLocation = "\\dpw01\scannedimages\">
<cfif IsDefined("form.drawing_year")>
<cfif form.drawing_year is not "">

<cfif fileExists(fileLocation & form.drawing_year & "\" & form.actual_drawing_number & ".tif")>
<cfset fileExtension = "tif">
<cfelseif fileExists(fileLocation & form.drawing_year & "\" & form.actual_drawing_number & ".jpg")>
<cfset fileExtension = "jpg">

</cfif>
<body onload="win=window.open(' + screen.width + ',height=' + screen.height);setTimeout('win.document.title=\'test\'',50);return false">

Have you tried changing the setting in your browser?

Firefox - Tools/Options/Content/Manage

(I really don't know WHERE to set this in IE)

I have not tried that setting change. I will look into that further. Will this be a process that I can can automate so that co workers on my network will be able to do this change?
Thank you for your reply, it is most appreciated.

I tried changing the settings stated above, but it did not work for my application. Thanks for the suggestion.

You can't force a user's machine to open a file (in your case an image) in a specific application. This ability is only limited on an individual basis.

EdGioja's suggestion would only work if every user changed their file preferences.

If this is for users on your network, then ask this question in the networking forum as this change would be OS related, not code.

If this is for users on public networks, then sorry, can't be done.

Thanks for your response, I was starting to assume that this was not possible. I tried to make the MIME options pop-up open so that the user would be able to select which application, but that didn't work either. I will try the networking forums to see if they have another option. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back