Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Open Internet Explorer from Firefox 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

strebor

Technical User
Nov 24, 2004
US
I have a intranet website. The users on this intranet may use Firefox or Internet Explorer. There is an important page which I don't control on a sharepoint that is all messed up when opened with Firefox. I would like to make a link to it that, if one is in Firefox it will launch Internet Explorer and display the page there... Does anyone have any clues as to how or if this can be done? I am thinking that there must be some javascript involved.

strebor

I don't think there will be clean, automated way to force a new program to start from Firefox. That would be a security issue.

As you do not have access to modify the SharePoint resource, you can create a middle transition page that alerts the Firefox user that they will need to use IE.

Code:
<html><head>
<title>Browser Alert</title>

<script type="text/javascript">
function firefoxwarning() {
   if(navigator.userAgent.indexOf('Firefox') != -1) {
      // Firefox
      document.write('You are using Firefox, which has some issues with our shortsighted 

choice in SharePoint hosting. Please use Internet Explorer instead.');
      return;
      }
}
</script>

</head>
<body>

<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
  firefoxwarning();
//-->
</script>

<p><a href="#">Proceed...</a></p>

</body>
</html>

Thank you spamjim... appreciated the humor!

strebor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back