Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Open file option error

Status
Not open for further replies.

russeder

IS-IT--Management
Jan 7, 2003
FR
Hi All

This is 1 of the issues I am having at the moment
device : \\BLAH\l$
OFO: Insufficient system resources exist to initialize OFO.

In the Open file option configuration settings they are set to default, I take it that this is the issue. Not sure what to manually set it to.

Any help would be cool

TKS

Try to launch the OFO wizard and to specify a file to use for OFO.

By default I think BE tries to create the OFO image on the disk backed up. If this disk has no more space it could lead to this error.

So try to create an OFO file for this client on a disk with enough space, then you could also try to "play" with something called "incremental XXX" in the configuration.

Hope this helps.

Russeder:
----------

> 1) If you have BE 8.6 Rev 3878 installed, please apply the patch (basically you have to swap out the filterdriver (Otman5.sys (W2K) , Otman4.sys (NT4) >> Note: if this error is happening when you are backing up a remote server, you have to apply the patch to the Remote AND the Media server.

Heres the link to the patch:

8.6.3878 Hotfix 12 - Open File Option (<System Resources> issue)

If you still the error.....

2) Run through the OFO wizard and check to see what the initial and maximum static volume sizes that BE has worked out for you. Chances are they are either too high or too low. Its difficult for me to say exactly what you should put in there but, I would manually set the initial to 250 MB, Max 3000MB as a starting point. In order to modify these settings you wil have to clear the checkbox &quot;have BAckup Exec Calculate ...etc etc&quot;

3) Its also worth while monitoring the size of the OFO cache (OTMsnapshot.otm). This file will be created when you see the job in &quot;Pre-Processing&quot; in activity monitor.

4) There can be other reasons but lets start with the easy stuff first...:)

Let me know how you get on

Cheers
Dog

Thanks Dog

Regarding the 8.6.3878 Hotfix 12 - Open File Option (<System Resources> issue)

It says that you need to restart after applying this fix, will it work without restarting ????

On my exchange server backup the setting are manually set to initial 5692 MB, Max 11384MB these are the default values.

Any clues man

Hi Russeder
I don't know why but the default settings from BE are much too high. I suffered from the same problem. I changed the settings to initial 2000Mb and max 4000Mb. This is far enough and has been working fine since about one year now. I tested with max 6000Mb and got the error.
One other thing is; do not backup the disk or partition where the OFO virtual disk is generated. Therefor you should use a special partition local on your server and to not select it for backup.
Hope that helps
KR
Gery

If it ain't broken, don't fix it

a long shot perhaps.. but have you set the cache size for the OFM?

if not, find your BESRVR.CFG file.
There are 2 lines you need to edit.
Otm_MaxSizeOfCacheFileGB =
and
Otm_SizeOfCacheFileMB =

You need to set aside 40MB per 1 GB of disk space, so a 16 Gig partition would need a 640MB cache setting. The setting needs to be done in HEX. (you can use the windows calculator to work it out.)

The cache file can be placed on any volume you wish but the file name *must* be OTM01

hth

Thanks guys this advice is cool.
I am currently trying gerys fix as we speak but the other thing is lately the pub and the priv on exchange 5.5 are not being backed up and there are no users here when the backup in running e.g.

Unable to open the item \exchsrv\DSADATA\DIR.EDB - skipped.
Unable to open the item \exchsrv\DSADATA\edb.log - skipped.
Unable to open the item \exchsrv\DSADATA\temp.edb - skipped.
Unable to open the item \exchsrv\imcdata\queue.dat - skipped.
Unable to open the item \exchsrv\mdbdata\edb.log - skipped.
Unable to open the item \exchsrv\mdbdata\PRIV.EDB - skipped.
Unable to open the item \exchsrv\mdbdata\PUB.EDB - skipped.
Unable to open the item \exchsrv\mdbdata\tmp.edb - skipped.

What do u thinks guys ???

Regarding OFO:
The Hotfix changes the way BE/OFO uses memory. After the fix, it will use contiguous uniform blocks of memory.
Best way to setup OFO: put an 8Gb IDE harddrive in your server where you get this error. Do not put any data on this drive. Configure the OFO Wizard to point to that drive for the OFO static volume location. You will never get another OFO error.

If you cannot do that, you should never specify a location for OFO static volume other than the default unless you are specifying a volume/drive that you never backup.
OFO in 8.6 will change the location of the static volume dynamically: ex. your server has C: D: and E: drives. When it backs up C: it will place the static file on D:; when it backs up D: it will place OFO file on E:; when it backs up E: it will place it on D:.
Only caveat to above is if you have one logical volume on a drive. Say your server only has a C: drive and no other volumes or harddrives. In this situation, the static volume will not increment or grow past the initial size setting of the OFO static volume. Therefore the only thing you can tweak is the initial setting. So if this is the situation for the error you are getting, you need to find out how much data is backed up on C:; how much free space do you have. Say you are backing up 20 Gb and have 6Gb free. Then you would set the OFO static volume initial size to 400 Mb and max doesn't matter since it cannot increment.

As for your question about Exchange files skipped. OFO cannot backup transactional databases (SQL, Exchange, Oracle). The only way you can backup the files where Exchange is installed is to stop all the Exchange services and do a flat-file backup. If you are using the Exchange agent to backup the databases/logs while Exchange services are running, YOU DO NOT NEED TO BACKUP THE DIRECTORIES WHERE EXCHANGE FILES ARE INSTALLED!

Veritas wrote their own OFO for Backup Exec 9.0. They no longer use OTM (Open Transaction Manager) which will eliminate a lot of these stupid errors.

Enjoy!

Having a simular problem with Veritas Backup Exe 8.0

After lauching application I receive two OFO error messages.

First message states
Device \\JEFFERSON\f$
&quot;OFO: Unknown Error: 0x5aa&quot;

Second messages states
Device: \\POINT\D$.
OFO: Unable to get minimum quiet time window for physical volume.

Anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this? Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back