Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Open existing app within a project if hwnd is known?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkwho

Programmer
May 7, 2002
US
I want to make an app as an add-on to an existing app (not mine). Is there a way to open up an existing app in my own program (SDI - not MDI)? I am thinking I will have to open it in a container control (picture1, etc.), but the questions I have are these: #1) How would I go about it? (I would imagine I need at least the hwnd, and the only way I could do that is by pulling the hwnd from the app's title bar caption (which I don't know how to do)). #2) Are there any special considerations with respect to focus? and #3) I would like it to be totally seamless, my app would run in the tray, and the other app would run as usual, my app would only be seen as a icon in the tray and as enhancements to the app I want add-on to, nothing else.

PS The reason I didn't mention shell is I thought that by shelling it the app would open by itself. If that is wrong, or if there are arguments I could pass to the shell or shellexecute to make this work, please by all means educate me.

-- Everything is Dust in the Wind - Kansas
[pc3] [afro]

NO, Not as far as I know, There is no way of opening an application inside your own application unless of you fancy writting a windows emulator package. The only other way is if the other package provides hooks or add-ins to allow you to do this.

Chris Dukes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back