Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Open embedded Excel file using keyboard only

Status
Not open for further replies.

raeben

Technical User
Nov 21, 2001
US
Is there a way to open an embedded Excel file (embedded as icon image) in MS Word 2003 or 2007 using keystrokes only? I need a way to make embedded files accessible to someone who is visually impaired and cannot use a Mouse to double-click on the icon. The embedded file does not show up as a hyperlink in a screen reader and you cannot make a hyperlink to an embedded file, only to a file on the computer or internet (at least as far as I know).

Please help!

Well, this might be a little obtuse, but....

Alt-F11 (will open the VBA editor)
Cntl-G (will get you to the immediate window)
"activedocument.inlineShapes(1).Activate" (will open the first embedded OLE object)

If the icon is in line with the text then move the cursor to be immediately to the left of it, press Shift + right arrow to select it, 'right click' using either Shift+F10 or the right click key to the right of the spacebar, and then navigate the dropdown menu.

If the icon is is in the 'drawing layer' it is not so easy.

Enjoy,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.

I'm working (slowly) on my own website

You can:
1) SHIFT+RIGHT ARROW to select icon (if the cursor is on the left side of object)
2) SHIFT+F10 (display popup menu)
3) scroll down to 'Object worksheet',
4) RIGHT ARROW to enter submenu,
5) 'Open' or 'Edit' object

Alternatively:
1) customise menu/toolbar: add the command 'object...' from 'commands' tab, 'edit' category,
2) still in customise mode, right-click the added button and, if necessary, change the position of '&' sign in description text (should preceed unique letter in visible descriptions in menu or toolbars),
3) for a selected object (item (1) in previous method) click ALT+letter after & to open object.

combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back