Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

open dbf in excel 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmcheung

Programmer
Oct 13, 2000
HK
Hi,
I have a free table created in foxpro 6.0. I've exported it to a foxpro 2.X format. When I tried to directly open them in excel2000, only the one in 2.X format can be opened. the 6.0 one returns a wrong format error message. Is there any method to directly open a 6.0 format free table in excel 2000 without exporting them first to a 2.X format? Thanks!

It is better to export from VFP6 ....

EXPORT TO myExcelFile TYPE XL5

** note XL5 .. not XLS
and open it in Excel 2000.
Hope this helps.
ramani :-9
(Subramanian.G)
FoxAcc
ramani_g@yahoo.com

yeah thanks. *:->*
so I have to do a import/export anyway if I'm using foxpro 6.0. Just wondering why for a 2.6 table I can open it directly in Excel 2000 but for 6.0 table I have to do an import/export? s-)

Please visit my WebCam!!

Since the introduction of VFP 3.0 in 1995, the .DBF structure was changed (by Microsoft) - that while similar, it is not compatible with the old xBase/FP 2.x structure. For whatever reason, MS has decided not to provide direct support for this alternative structure in the MS Office products (Excel, Access, Word, etc.) - only through the ODBC drivers (and soon OLE DB).

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back