Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Open Credit Memo needs to be applied to Historical Invoice

Status
Not open for further replies.

cat24

Technical User
Feb 21, 2013
US
An open credit memo should have been applied to a historical invoice from 2009. However, since this invoice is in history, we cannot apply that credit memo. If we issue a dummy invoice to apply the credit memo, then the expenses would be off balance. Is there some way to resolve this? If we perhaps remove transaction history for this one historical invoice, would we be able to move forward with a dummy invoice to close out the credit memo? How would removing transaction history affect the GL especially since this is for a closed year?

I am a little confused as to what you are asking. If an invoice is in history, it is already fully applied, the unpaid amount on it is 0. Applying a credit memo to an invoice reduces the unpaid amount of the invoice. In this case, that would make the unpaid amount of the invoice negative, which GP does not allow. If I am misunderstanding what you are asking, can you please provide some more detail?

Victoria Yudin
Dynamics GP MVP 2005 - 2013
Use Crystal Reports and SSRS with GP:
blog:

Sure. Somehow, invoice 123 was pushed to history without an apply record. When you drill down using an inquiry, you see that the invoice is Historical but when you click on Apply, there is no payment record attached. For the same vendor, there is also a credit memo 123 in GP that was supposed to be applied to invoice 123. However, it was never applied and cannot be since the invoice 123 is historical. When we run a historical aged trial balance, the invoice shows as closed while the credit memo shows as open. My question is how the invoice could have moved to history if there is no apply record, and what can be done to push the credit memo to history? Creating a dummy invoice might be an option, however, that would cause expenses to be overstated unless there is a way to void the historical invoice, which I do not think there is. Thank you.

Thanks for the additional detail. It sounds like something went wrong with your data, as normally an invoice would not be in history with no apply records if it has not been voided. If the credit memo is not for a large amount, one option may be to simply void the credit memo (with a current date), just to clean up this vendor account. Or, as you suggested, to create a dummy invoice. But you're right, you will have to put the amount somewhere - I suspect there was an adjustment made in 2009 to clear this up...but that does not really help right now.

If voiding or applying the credit memo is not an option, then you may need to work with someone to fix this in the tables. (Basically to bring the historical invoice back into the open tables so the credit memo can be applied to it.) I am not sure I can help with something like that without actually looking at the data, perhaps someone else on this forum can help with that or has a different suggestion.

Victoria Yudin
blog:

Yes, everything is reconciled since this was so long ago. I did have one option I wanted to try but wanted to ask you a question regarding it. There is a Remove Transaction History function available, and ideally, this is what I might want to attempt: Use Remove Transaction History to remove the historical invoice 123 from GP. Create a dummy invoice to move the credit memo to history. My questions are, if the Remove Trx function is used, does this carry over activity to GL and how do we do that?

I cannot see how removing the history will help you with this. It will not update anything in the GL, so you will be left with the same dilemma you're facing now. It will also leave your historical data incomplete, which may cause other issues in the future if you ever need to look this up or report on it.

Victoria Yudin
blog:

removing the history will help by allowing you to re-enter it in open
HOWEVER, doing so will create GL entries
- so you need to make sure they do not get posted through
- OR that if they do they get reversed.
- or that they all hit the same account - thereby washing out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search