Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

open cisco ios

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjverweij

IS-IT--Management
Feb 8, 2005
NL
hello,

i've recently made some cisco setups on a 2600 router.
i downloaded the system image to my tftp server(saved as .bin)

but when i want to open it on my pc, programs that support .bin cannot read it.

i've already downloaded some programs to open these images, but they caoud not do the trick.

does somebody know how to open these cisco images?
is there any program for it?

pjverweij,
Are you maybe trying to view config files you saved to your TFTP?

You said you made some setups, I guess you are setting up several 2600 routers. The changes you make in setup are stored in the config files - start config, run config and not the IOS (bin files).

If you are trying to save your changes the command would be "copy run tftp" or "copy start tftp".

If you are trying to view the changes (configs) then Note Pad will work.

I hope this helps!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Also a good program thats free from cisco is ciscoconfimaker, this allows you to open and edit config files. It will also allow you to download them via various means. It is avaialble on cisco.com for download.

Visit for free Cisco rack access.

yes im trying to view bin files from 2600 router that were downloaded to a tftp server, i wanted to take a look at the configs, because of maintanence purposes.

pjverweij

pjverweij,

Normally BIN files are the IOS - the routers operating system.

You want to view your config files - see my post above, you should be backing up both your IOS and your configs to a TFTP. IOS is normally something like c2600-d-12.1.bin, config file names can be whatever you want but by default the name is normally the name of the router.cfg.

But if you want to look at configs for maintanence purposes then you can open the config file with notepad or like gwildfire said with Cisco configmaker.

If you are naming your config files .bin instead of .cfg(which is the default) you still should be able to open them with notepad or configmaker. If the .bin file is the IOS then you will just see a mess of text when you open it with notepad.

I hope this clears it up for you.

E.A. Broda

pjverweij,

Just to be very clear - a router has 2 files you back up -

1) IOS - command would be "copy flash tftp" file name would look like this - c2600-i-122-1.bin
This DOES NOT contain your config files.

2) Configs - command would be "copy start tftp" file name would look like this - router.cfg
This DOES contain all your configs and changes that you made to the router.

GREAT book from -

Cisco Cookbook
By Kevin Dooley, Ian J. Brown
O'Reilly & Associates,
Paperback,
Published July 2003,
885 pages,
ISBN 0596003676
List Price: $54.95
Our Price: $44.95

While several publishers (including O'Reilly) supply excellent documentation of router features, the trick is knowing when, why, and how to use these features There are often many different ways to solve any given networking problem using Cisco devices, and some solutions are clearly more effective than others. The pressing question for a network engineer is which of the many potential solutions is the most appropriate for a particular situation. Once you have decided to use a particular feature, how should you implement it? Unfortunately, the documentation describing a particular command or feature frequently does very little to answer either of these questions.

I hope this helps!

E.A. Broda

thanks a lot guys, i saved my configs with copy flash tftp and with a .bin extension.

now i will use copy start tftp and svae my configs with .cfg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back