Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

open browser window

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipti

Programmer
Mar 28, 2001
US
I have a united states map on my web page. I used image maps to specify the sales regions on the map. When i use 'open browser window' behaviour to open another window when clicked on the link, the new browser window opens up in netscape 4.0 but does not seem to work in IE. please help!!

is there a javascript error

i tried it but it seemed to work in ie 5

check it the event that you gave is onclick

regards Unicorn11
unicorn11@mailcity.com

[red]Luck is not chance, it's toil; fortune's expensive
smile is earned.[red]

I do not get any javascript error. and also i used onClick event. There is on example of some other website which doea the same thing. the url is go to the contact us section and u will find a similar map. try clicking on it using IE and netscape. you will understand what i mean to say.
pls help if you can
thanks

Dipti,

Unfortunately, when I went to the Url you gave as an example, IE5 opened the window as intended. Which version of IE are you testing with?

You may want to consider doing inline script instead of using the MM_ window behavior. i.e:
Code:
 href="Javascript: Window.open('your_relative_url_here',other attributes here seperated by commas)"

maybe this helps. Good luck.

student#5

i am using IE 5.0 Why does it not open in my browser? maybe it is the browser fault. i will check again and let u know what is wrong.
thanx for ur help.

Is there a reason using JavaScript? I suggest using
Code:
target=_blank
in the
Code:
<a href=&quot;www.blah.com/[...]&quot;[...]
tag. Maybe I'm completely wrong, but normally this opens a new browser window and is also compatible with users and browsers that do not have activated JavaScript ;-)

i figured out the problem. my IE browser was missing some component that i had to run. i went to microsoft website and went thru the steps how to fix this problem.
thank you all for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back