Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Open additional mailbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

novistech

IS-IT--Management
Oct 10, 2003
US
Ok bare with me as I am new to exchange 5.5. Just got promoted since our IT person left the company. My boss wants to be able to open other user's folder. How do I set this up? I can because I am the admin but do I grant him domain admin along with the service account admin on the site company? I read through a couple of the FAQs but cannot perform the task. It keeps giving me "unable to display the folder" message. He doesn't want me to know who that person is.

Please advice!

Vicki

Unless you boss is the president of the company, I would get direction from higher up - perhaps someone in your HR department can help. There are legal issues to deal with. Unless you know whose mailbox he wants access to, you can't give him access to another person's mailbox without giving him access to everyone's mailboxes - something that your legal department (if you have one) would not accept. To allow him access to the specified mailbox, open the properties for that mailbox, select the permissions tab, and add him as a user.

You could give him admin permissions to the private information store (expand the tree in Exchange admin until you get to your server, the expand it to find the Private information store). This would allow him to open any mailbox he chooses. Again, this is not recommended unless he owns the company. Alway cover yourself - get the direction in writing if he insists on this capability. If he's not the top dog, go over his head for authorization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back