Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Open a local folder using hyperlnk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smapty

Programmer
Mar 12, 2005
US
<a href="c:\">root</a>

That will only work when running a page off the desktop. I need to find a way to open up folders on the local machine runnning ColdFusion. Right now we have all these folders for jobs that are by unique interger id. I want to build a simple page that also lists other info about those jobs that will help people navigate to the right folder. But for some reason the links won't work when generated from the server itself. Is there some kind of setting in Win 2k3 that will allow for links to open local folders?

Have you tried something like:

<a href="file:///c:\rest of path">look on C: drive</a> ?

I tried that, but no luck. Nothing happens when you click the link.

Browsers should not be able to view contents of local folders. This would be a major security issue.

If you know the path to a local html document, you should be able to open that in the browser, but the referring page or server will not know what that data is.

Greg
People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use. Kierkegaard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back