Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Open a Corrupted mdb File?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rarich01

Programmer
Oct 22, 2001
US
I recently had a database returned to me from one of my users where, upon opening it, it gave me the message: "Urecognized database format "[Path of database]"
I tried using the "/compact" switch to compact and repair the DB, but it gave me the same result.

Any ideas how to fix this? Are there any third party programs out there that can fix a corrupted mdb file?

Sounds like one of your users tried to open your database using MS Word. That does the most intensive corruption you can imagine.

You could try the MS jetcomp utility.

If that does not work consider contacting Peter Miller who specializes in repairing damaged databases. He is highly skilled and reasonably priced. If you do contact him, please give him my regards.

You might tell your client that he may want to consider employees not using MSWord with an Access database a condition for further employment.
Robert Berman
Data Base consultant
Vulcan Software Services
thornmastr@yahoo.com

This message also occurs when trying to open an Access database with the wrong version of Access. Is it possible that the user converted it to another version of Access? Have fun! :eek:)

Alex Middleton

Access 2k and 2k2 will open A97 and A95 (I think). It will not open Access 2.0.
Robert Berman
Data Base consultant
Vulcan Software Services
thornmastr@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back