Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ooold P1...2nd HD not completely useful

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleeper4

Programmer
Dec 26, 2002
US
Hey guys I'm new to the forum but I needed to find one to see if someone has a solution to this...
I have and old Pentium 60mhz (you can imagine how old the motherboard is) that came with a Maxtor 520MB hard drive. I added a Maxtor 3GB hard drive some time ago. I've put windows 95, NT4, 98, and Linux 6 on these two drives. The linux ext2 filesystem can read and write on the 3GB drive fine, but the windows OS's using FAT16 only detect about half of the hard drive space that's really there (after scandisk). Anyone know if this is just because of the motherboard, or a problem with the HD, or does windows just suck like that? :)

P.S. If you need more info on my system please tell me.

Howdy:

FAT16 can only recognize a drive up to 2GB..

Murray

well dang I shoulda figured. Thanks a lot!

Should I try making it any other file system? I tried using the FAT32 converter in windows 98 but it didn't work. RIght now I'm trying to use PartitionMagic to see what I can do. any suggestions?

Best bet is to use a Win98 startup floppy and fdisk and reformat allowing for large disk support.. That makes the drive FAT32 which is what you want.

Murray

use fdisk and create an extended partition to use the rest, then use it again if necessary to create extended drives.
Partition magic will do it for you , but it isn't needed. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

well I seem to have gotten the problem. There's a bad cluster in the drive, and it seems to be the first data cluster (after the system stuff). Whenever I try to use scandisk on it, the cluster is reported, and windows 98 freezes. But I partitioned the rest of the drive except that beginning part, hopefully it will work (it's going through scandisk successfully so far). Thanks again both of you.

Well as recommended by a fellow forumer, I'm here to give an update. I eventually decided to screw it all and put NT4 for all of the first drive and 2GB of the second (the last gig is saved for Linux). Yay for me, NTFS detects all of the second hard drive! Funny thing about NT4, it made a 4MB partition at the beginning of the second drive, so now there are no problems.
Josh

My systems see on 30 GB of a 35 GB IBM Hard drive. I am running a Pentium III 450 MHz on a Gigabyte Mainboard (440 BX Chip) Windows 2000.

How can I make my system recognize the full 35 GB Hard Drive?

Thanking you in advance.

Hi there prince42de,

iam not really sure by i mean that the bios of the gigabyte 40bx board recognices 30 GB hdd maximum
in an older bios version,

So make a Bios Update if you have not already the final version of bios.

to get the full 35 GB without blanking the disk after that you have to use a tool like Partion Magic

or you make a second partition with 5 GB.

farewell

Nakash

Nakash is right. Either you need to update the BIOS, or look in the disk manager in Win2k to see if the partition is a drive. It might just be that the hard drive came with two partitions or something like that.

hey guys,
I've got another little problem. I'm just fiddling on my old computer; please don't waste your time here if you have better things to do. I recently got from a friend an old Quantum HD, about 116mb. I want to put it in along with another relatively old Maxtor, but both are master by default. I want to change the Quantum to slave so I can use it as a "backup" drive. there is one significant jumper (pointing out the back) that might do this. Any suggestions?

Another little update, for those who actually care :p

I upgraded my RAM; now I have 49mb. I also switched my video card to a 2mb. These are all generous donation from my fiends. The new hard drive is the problem. see above.

If you can't find a guide for the Quantum drive on the Maxtor site - Maxtor bought Quantum hard drives (take it there's nothing printed on the drive indicating jumper settings?), I'd just experiment with it & see what works. Remember the Maxtor master may also need a different setting when there's a slave drive present.

I do have a Maxtor 3GB that was in there with the smaller Maxtor. It was a slave, so I'm guessing I can leave the small Maxtor alone and play with the jumpers on the Quantum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back