Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OOOA Rule for External Mail only?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smiom

Technical User
Sep 13, 2004
Is it possible to create a Rule in Out of Office Assistant that will Forward "External Mail only" to another user on the LAN? Is it possible to identify External e-mails?

I tried putting just "@" in the From field (excluding the quotes) but it didn't work.

I tried putting the user's full e-mail address in the "To" field, and that didn't work.

The recipients of Forwarded Mail do not want to receive someone elses Internal mail, just the important External mail.

Any help will be appreciated.

Have a look at an inbound external email message header (using Outlook, in 2000 it's View, Options when you have the message open). You need to look for something that's unique to the header of messages that come into the mailbox from external sources. In mine all the messages that arrive via the IMS have the following text in them: 'Microsoft Exchange Internet Mail Service' (there are a few others as well, such as the node name of our external mail gateway, but if you go with this text it should be a more generic solution).

If you were to make an inbox rule that looked for these words in the message header, you could capture just the inbound external mail and process these messages accordingly.

I got this to work by using the rule-with specific words in the message header. Then for the specific word I put- [ -(just the bracket). This works because in internal mail, the sender is listed just by name, no email address and in external mail, the sender is listed by name followed by an email address in brackets ([***@***.com]). Your milage may vary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back