Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ONT Exam 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lerdalt

MIS
Oct 30, 2001
US
Has anyone made an attempt at the ONT exam. CIT is just kicking my butt and am about ready to cut my losses on it and tackle the new test.

Reading the test objectives for ONT, seem to be a nice lead in to more advanced QoS and some VoIP stuff. Since I'm leaning towards working on CCIP, might be a nice next step.

Don't feel bad; I'm too ashamed to admit how many times I flunked the CIT. However, I'd give it another go; you have till the end of the year. There are no books out yet for the ONT - how will you study?

I don't feel too bad about it, I'm just looking at the fact my test center isn't going to be open again until the first of the year.

For the ONT, loking at the blueprint, there is a lot of QoS on it. I've got the Student Guide for Implementing Cisco Quality of Service. Was looking at doing the CCIP as well, so using the theory of planning for a level above what I need.

Haven't completely given up on the CIT yet, but my last 2 attempts my scores were exactly the same. Good news is I didn't go backwards, but I thought for certain I'd do better.

Still curious on some additional insight on the ONT though.

The only place you can get courseware for ONT is with authorized training from Cisco Learning Partners. However, the Cisco Press books should be releasing soon and the gray market stuff shortly thereafter.

You're right, there is lots of QoS, so if you're comfortable with QoS and working with VOIP already, you may find this to be more up your line for testing.

I have to recertify my instructor credentials for this course so will take the exam in January. However, I thought the CIT was fairly easy so my opinion may not accurately reflect your experience.

I'm not certain I've fully given up on the CIT yet. Kind of having a change of heart after the weekend, but still appreciate the input on the ONT. Thursday is the first day I can retake the exam again. Last 2 attempts, my total score has been the same, but the break down varied quite a bit. All has to do in what questions one gets I guess.

I also noted unexplained fluctuations in my scores. It is part of the reason why I tell people not to put too much stock in them.

No matter what, I have to wait until Thursday before I can make another attempt. My local test center is closed until the new year, but got another one 60 miles away that might be open. Its just a tough decision on whether or not to throw another $125 at it or not.

I think my problem on all the tests, is I try to read too much into the questions. There are a lot of questions that I never like how they are worded, or I don't think they give enough information to accurately answer the questions. Funny part is I have people telling me to slow down when I take the tests. When I slow down on the question is when I start to read too much into it.

Just not certain what to do yet. Last 2 attempts I was only 23 points away both times. I know I'm close...guessing by only like 1 or 2 questions. Other part is this test is starting to get me down, and my confidence is a little shot. I've gone in both of the last 2 times feeling really good about it.

You want to check on that RIGHT NOW lerdalt - I once was considering going to another site due to closure. The second closest site, when I went to checkout, did not offer the test. The third closest site was open all of 3 days... the ENTIRE month.

As for the test, I don't know if It helps, but I told myself I couldn't afford to be discouraged. I simply did not have time - I could not afford that luxury. Passing the CIT was not a choice; if I didn't, I was screwed. Do or die.

Guys...I need help.

I failed the CIT exam last friday and today. I now have one more opportunity (Fri, Dec 29th) to pass this exam. I have passed my other 3 exams and only need this for my CCNP. I don't need to tell you all what happens if I don't pass this coming Friday. The time and effort I have put into attaining the CCNP...well, you all know what it takes.

My problem:
The sim question regarding a lost telnet session while uploading a configuration to a remote router.

I have SEARCHED and SEARCHED for a resolution to this but have not found any. What I am looking for is the material which would allow a person to solve the problem. If your going to test someone, you have to provide them with the information to answer the question. All throughout Cisco's site, I have found no information to help me with this problem.

I am running out of time and options.

What layer are you thinking the problem is at? L3 or L2? I won't give the answer, but there is a really easy command that for me turned on a HUGE spotlight on what the problem is.

Hey Kerdalt,

The fact that ping fails means no L3 connectivity, but, interface is up & protocol is up indicating L2 connectivity (also verified by show cdp neighbor which lised the remote router).

Because configuration of the local router is locked, I keep saying to myself, "how can I possibly configure the remote if I have no L3 over the serial link?" I think my desperation at facing elimination on Friday is clouding my thoughts.

Tx Lerdalt, but I need the help of this forum to identify the problem in my thought process as it applies to this question. Being in IT, we all use a very structured method to solve problems. Mine must be flawed and I would like someone to point out that flaw.

1) I no longer have communication with RemoteB from LocalA. Thought: there is a problem with LocalA, RemoteB or both.
2) I no longer have communication with RemoteB from LocalC.
Thought: the problem must reside with RemoteB.
3) I need to affect change to RemoteB. Thought: the only way to affect change to a router remotely is with telnet.
4) I must have L3 connectivity to RemoteB in order to telnet into RemoteB from either LocalA or LocalC. Thought: without L3 connectivity, I can not telnet and therfore I can not affect change to RemoteB.

Somewhere the above thought process is incorrect and did not allow me to solve a question on the CIT. Suggestions?

Sorry, I guess I'm not certain how to help further without giving away the answer. But I'll see what I can do.

1. You already stated you have L2 connectivity with the show interfaces and show cdp neighbor command. Do you have that on both sides?
2. How can you connect to remote b when the IP address you are given in the scenario doesn't work. Maybe the next hint is remember what the subnet mask was. Was it a /30? a /28? a /24?

Oh wait..I've got it. Remember the steps for diagramming the network?

I see your point Lerdalt. In my thought process, I was using information provided without thinking that information may be incorrect. If that's the case, I take solice in the fact that my thought process is not flawed but the information provided is. :)

Like I stated earlier, Friday is my last shot at CCNP for a while. I'll post again ;)

hi gents, just to let you all know that I got my CCNP on the 21/12. I passed the CIT at last it took me three goes at this exam. So please keep trying as you only have 6 days to get this done. Now on to the CCIE.. Have a happy Christmas and a great new year to all of you and your family.

PS You can also download the ONT stuff from torrentspy go to:

Took the CIT on Friday and passed. Talk about cutting it close. That gives me my CCNP.

If it were not for Testking, I would not have passed the exam. I am a big believer in self-study. I find that I can learn faster than an average class is taught, so I always prefer to teach myself. I found, that for the BCRAN & CIT, updated materials to pass these exams were simply not provided by Cisco. A person was almost required to take the class. I hope that as Cisco revamps their exams, they don't leave us self-taught types out in the cold.

Thanks again to Lerdalt.

Way to go JimmyMacCisco. I unfortuneately wasn't so lucky cutting it close. Got down to the last 2 days, and there wasn't a test center around that was either: open, had a free time slot, or the people that run it weren't on vacation. So I get to try out the ONT exam.

Been reading some good tips for it on other sites. Big recommendation is the QoS exam book by Wendell Odom. Sounds like it is a good book for the 642-642 QoS exam, which I intend on taking after I get my CCNP finished. I got a copy of the Cisco Student guide for both the ONT and QoS tests. the blueprints look close enough to kind of work on the 2 tests kind of simultaneously.

Still wish I could find someone that has tried the ONT. Been hard to find any information on it other than Cisco's site. Guess its cause it's still new.

Hey lerdalt,

I took the ONT over the weekend and passed with around a 915...i dont remember the exact score. Finally done with the CCNP! The test really wasnt that bad, its a little VoIP, alot of QoS, and a bit of wireless.

I used the cisco student guide and studied it for about 2 weeks while at work. If you've used QoS in the field at all and have any exposure to cisco wireless then this shouldnt be that hard at all. If you have any questions about it feel free to ask...

Sweet...congrats. I've been working out of the student guide, but kind of lost some steam after not being able to get in to take the test before the end of the year.

Can you give me a quick breakdown (without giving away too much)...any sims? testlets? etc.?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back