Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Only shows 6 Clients

Status
Not open for further replies.

overide

MIS
Jul 16, 2001
US
Our SMS server will only allow 6 workstations to be clients for the remote control agent. Why is this so. Is our configuration wrong. I checked all the areas and everything is enabled to allow clients to be installed?

How many clients do you have in your environment?

Assuming that your site is setup properly..(Site boundaries are usually the biggest issue.), I would look at the client SMS logs. These are located in the C:\Winnt\MS\LOGS directory or C:\Windows\MS\Logs dir [depending on client OS]

There are many, many log files here...

The most common type of problem is another remote control agent already being installed on the client machine. For example, I was assigned the task of converting an environment from Intel LANDESK to Microsoft's SMS 2.0. (Landesk is very simlilar to SMS...but made by Intel...) Anyway, I found out very early in the project that if the LANDESK client was installed on the client machines, the SMS remote control agent would fail to install. You see, SMS searches for other remote control software on the client machine before allow the Remote Control agent to install.

Another reason you might have a problem with a client installation (only on NT) is caused by having the SERVER SERVICE disabled. Enable the SERVER SERVICE on the client and then try to install the client softare. This should work.

Anyway, hope this helps...provide more details an maybe we can figure something out.

Later...

When you say:

"be clients for the remote control agent"

Do you mean that the client themselves are not have the Remote Control icon in the control panel? Or, does the Systems Management icon in control panel tell you anything useful? For instance, on the Components tab, does Remote Control say Installed, or Installation Pending?

If these machines are not becoming clients at all (that is, nothing is installing at all), then definitely take a look at the Subnet Boundaries or the Client Agent configuration. Look at the client's log files for specific information about where the installation may be failing to install at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back