Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Only root can mount floppy/CD FS??? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

robherc

Programmer
Apr 20, 1999
US
How do I allow _all_ users to mount floppy & CD file systems in RedHat 6.0? <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*nix installation & program collector/reseller. Contact me if you think you've got one that I don't :)

First, go in as root and modify your /etc/fstab file. This file mounts all of your devices when Linux boots. In the file you should see something similar to this:<br>
<br>
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,ro 0 0<br>
[other devices that are mounted are also here: /dev/hda1, /dev/sda1]<br>
<br>
The first field (/dev/cdrom) is the block device to be mounted. The mount point is described by the second field (/mnt/cdrom). Third field (iso9660) is the type of filesystem, ie msdos, ext2, hpfs. [Note that each field must be separated by white space, either spaces or tab]<br>
<br>
Mounting options are in the fourth field (noauto,ro). Here, add user before noauto. This allows any user to mount the device. The noauto option tells Linux not to mount the device on boot. Your new line should look similar to this:<br>
<br>
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 user,noauto,ro 0 0<br>
<br>
If you really want to get into it, check out the man page for fstab.

Thank You <i>very</i> much; this Winblows geek will be forever thankful to you (or at least until after Yuck2Krud.<br>
I really wanted to try out RH6.o as I've heard so many pple praise it as one of the most powerful Linux distros; but do you have any other suggestions? (I have RH 5.2 & 6.0; Mandrake 5.3; LinuxPro 5.4; SuSE 6.1, FreeBSD 2.2.8 & 3.2; Caldera 2.2 and Slackware 4.0 avail. to me). I plan on using FreeBSD on 1 partition; then one of the Linux distros. on another (big HD); which of the distros do you suggest? <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*nix installation & program collector/reseller. Contact me if you think you've got one that I don't :)

At the end of the day, I think it's gotta come down to personal taste. Pretty much every distro uses RPM these days (exceptions I know of being Slackware and Debian), and it appears to getting slightly &quot;My distro has a new kernel than yours&quot; - &quot;Well mine's got more apps with it&quot; at the moment...<br>
<br>
Slackware is normally known as a hackers version of Linux. ie, If you like manually mucking about with your setup, go for this one.<br>
<br>
Caldera is probably the most user friendly at the moment, both installation wise, and usage wise once installed. It does a *MUCH* better job of configuring KDE from install than RedHat does. Retail version also comes with personal use versions of Partition Magic and Boot Manager, which is nice :)<br>
<br>
RedHat is getting loads of press because of the recent IPO, as well as various big names aligning themselves with RedHat. Personally, I use RedHat 6.0 cos it was the Linux distro that happened to be nearest to hand last time I felt like scrapping my setup and starting again. (I do this now and again when I get sick of RPMs complaining I don't have the latest version of XYZ, when I downloaded, compiled and installed it only the other week... And using the &quot;ignore&quot; option on 'rpm' then installs miscellaneous files in different locations from where I put them, and, well you get the picture. ;^)<br>
<br>
SuSE - well, it's RedHat, with better on-line documentation, once you've installed it :) Also, retail version comes with enough apps to keep anyone busy from now til Y3K and beyond...<br>
<br>
Mandrake, by all accounts, is RedHat with a couple of bells and whistles. Be nice to see where they're going with it, though.<br>
<br>
But at the end of the day, they're all running the same kernel (or will be, once you download and compile the latest :), running the same apps, with minor version differences, so it starts to come down to a matter of taste. Do you prefer KDE to be installed as default? (Caldera) Or Gnome/Enlightenment? (RedHat) (Just to throw in my 2 cents again, if you're machines a little resource deficient - ie, not PII 233 or above - I'd go for KDE. Or, even better, WindowMaker, cos it's small, neat, and it rocks. Oh, and it's a lot more resource friendly than either KDE or Gnome, according to my dusty old P166 :)<br>
<br>
Then again, run FreeBSD as your main OS, and go through each of the Linux distros. Use each of them for a while and decide which you prefer :)<br>
<br>
One tip, you might want to think about creating more than two partitions. I'd add a /home partition that can be shared between FreeBSD and Linux distro X, and maybe throw in a common data partition as well, for sticking things like RPM packages you've tried on one distro, and want to install on the next in line.<br>
<br>
Anyway, sounds like you're gonna have some fun. Enjoy! :)

Andy-<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Don't knock on that 166 too hard.......I'm currently mucking on a PI100! It's sorta gonna have to do until I finally decide on which vid. card & monitor to shell out my money for & put in my newer K6-2 350MHZ 128MB sys.<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I <i>definately</i> prefer KDE to Gnome/Enlightenment; at the end of the day I'm not cussing out the resource-hungry Enlightenment or the super-mega-sized Gnome taskbar that way ;) I haven't had a chance to experiment with WindowMaker yet though; is it pretty tidy & fast (I really like the &quot;browsing&quot; start menu of KDE better than the poorly organized Gnome version) with all the &quot;necessary&quot; pep to help you get where you want efficiently?<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Last question: How do I share my /home partition between Linux & FreeBSD? I know they both use diff. filesystems; but does FreeBSD 3.2 have a patch for reading the ext2fs or something (vaguely remember that one when I was browsing through the RPMs on my FreeBSD 2.2.8; but I did an &quot;everything&quot; install of 3.2 & am thus not completely sure what I do/don't have. <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*nix installation & program collector/reseller. Contact me if you think you've got one that I don't :)

Robherc:<br>
<br>
Maybe sharing a fat partition between them might do it, I'am only saying this because I don't know what FreeBSD can support. <p>Simon Jones<br><a href=mailto:sijones@talk21.com>sijones@talk21.com</a><br><a href= Allandale Youth Works</a><br>The above is all my own site I look after!!!<br>
God am good!!! and good lookin :)

Oops! Didn't realise that FreeBSD used a different filesystem &lt;cheesy apologetic grin&gt; Using the fat partition might work as Si said. Probably worth setting up a small-ish (not /home) partition to try it out.<br>
<br>
Re window managers, WindowMaker is extremely resource friendly compared to KDE and Gnome. No task bar as such, but you don't really need it. Has a dockable app bar for dropping mini-apps into like CD players, network monitors, etc. It's Gnome and KDE aware, so you can run programs designed to take advantage of KDE or Gnome features under WindowMaker. Take a look at <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> for more details. Definitely worth a try.

Thanks for the info......as far as the shared partition; do you know if all OSs have a few shared filesystems for CD-RWs that I could try....650 MB should work pretty well for my /home directories ;) <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*nix installation & program collector/reseller. Contact me if you think you've got one that I don't :)

I want to stick a CD-RW into my CD-RW drive; partition it as the /home directory, then format it in a fs that can be used by both Linux & FreeBSD <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*nix installation & program collector/reseller. Contact me if you think you've got one that I don't :)

Hmmm... That'd be a nice trick if you could get it to work. One problem you *might* hit is that when you boot the box, will the right device drivers be in place for the CD-RW so that /home could be mounted?<br>
<br>
As far as common file systems go, what does FreeBSD have available? If it can read/write ext2, I'd go for that. Otherwise, maybe the FAT32/DOS format would work...

Not sure.....I just ended up screwing my partition tables up on a failed Caldera install; not having very much luck getting *nix running on my 5002MB HDD with 9692 cyl! <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*nix installation & program collector/reseller. Contact me if you think you've got one that I don't :)

Oops! :(<br>
<br>
With partitioning, I never use the tools supplied with the distro. ie, Disk Druid with RedHat. (Anyone remember the RedHat v. 4 or 5 Disk Druid bug that trashed your HD on installs and upgrades? :( ) I always, always, partition first with something else, and then install onto the partitions I've created. Is it the commercial release of Caldera you've got? If so, this should have a &quot;Special Edition&quot; of Parition Magic tucked away somewhere. I'd use that, as it should handle big disks. (My old copy of PM 2 handles 4Gb disks OK.)<br>
<br>
If not, then take a look at Fips. *The* command line based disk partitioner (IMNSHO :). Able to non-destructively resize paritions, merge partitions, split partitions. The usual disclaimers and warnings about taking backups beforehand apply ;) Last time I used it (about two years ago) it had a nice little cmdline interface. Worth a look.<br>
<br>
Just make sure you create a small-ish partition below the 1024 cylinder boundary so Linux'll boot OK... (Or two, if you're installing FreeBSD as well. Although FreeBSD might not have this limitation.)

robherc:<br>
<br>
don't you think using a cd/rw drive for a home directory is going to be a bit slow??<br>
If you want to use your cd/rw drive for your home directory you will have to have some software that will write to the drive in the back-ground, don't like saying this but on windows there is direct cd from adaptec that sounds as if it would do the job that you want, maybe they might have ported to a linux platform maybe worth a look??<br>
<br>
Hope this helps!!!! <p>Simon Jones<br><a href=mailto:sijones@talk21.com>sijones@talk21.com</a><br><a href= Allandale Youth Works</a><br>The above is all my own site I look after!!!<br>

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;DirectCD caches????????? I always thought it went the same speed with DirectCD as it now goes with CeQuadrat....whole CDs write @ about the same speed as indiv. files....2x<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;As far as speed goes, though, 2x write by 6x read works just fine for home for me though; only for storing files anywise.....if it were for /usr I'd buy a DVD-RAM anywise (and I <i>AM</i> considering that too ;) <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*nix installation & program collector/reseller. Contact me if you think you've got one that I don't :)

It can write the stuff in the background I know that, on the windows platform, BUT because windows is crap at multitasking it takes the system up and locks it for a while. Is there a port to linux? <p>Simon Jones<br><a href=mailto:sijones@talk21.com>sijones@talk21.com</a><br><a href= Allandale Youth Works</a><br>The above is all my own site I look after!!!<br>

Will check for a DirectCD site; will then pressure them to make a Linux port if they con't already have one ;) <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*nix installation & program collector/reseller. Contact me if you think you've got one that I don't :)

Just checked it out....they said to use mkisofs; then use Easy CD creator (in their FAQ)<br>
I'm gonna have to check out their contact info to pressure 'em to port DirectCD over for us ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back