Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Only my XP Users are Getting Error 403 - Forbidden..

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCRoyalCrown

Technical User
May 27, 2003
US

We have two Web Servers. One Internet on the Outside of the Firewall, and one Intranet on the Inside of the Firewall. Most all of my clients have windows 98 and I have about 10 people in my NT Domain that have just received XP Pro. They can log on to the Domain and get network Resources just fine, but are having intermittent problems accessing both our Internet Home Page & our Intranet Page.

They receive the following Error. “HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden You are not authorized to view this page. You might not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you supplied.”

If the Users Close their browser and Reboot, they can get to the site for awhile, but the Error inevitably returns. The users can connect to the Sites by entering in the IP Address directly into the browser.

Both Web Servers are located on the Network and are running Server 2000 with IIS 5.0 The event logs have no warnings or errors reported in them. However the Event Viewer on the PDC shows constant Logon & Logoff messages from these users. e.g. A user will be logged on at 12:40:03 & logged off at 12:47:32 The user can get to file servers & other network resources just fine, but can not access the Web Sites.

I have searched Microsoft Support and TechNet for a resolution to this problem and have come up empty. I have renamed the Home page from Index.html to Default.html and the problem still continues. I have also checked the Settings on the Virtual Directories on the Default Web Page, both were recommendations from Microsoft, and both have not taken care of this problem.

Is this a problem with my DNS or with my IIS Settings?

Any ideas or resolutions to this problem will be received with great enthusiasm.

Sounds to be a DNS problem, WIN9x and NT relied more on NETBIOS resolution (WINS) to locate network resources, Win2k and XP use DNS primarily.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?

I'm having the same problem on any of my intranet sites that have "Integrated Windows Authentication". If I change it to clear text or anything it works fine. I haven't found out why yet though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back