Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Only Moving MailBoxes from Exchange 2k to Exchange 2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonSI

IS-IT--Management
Mar 9, 2004
US
Hi,

This is an awesome forum. All my questions can typically be answered with doing a quick search, but I was unable to locate an answer.

Here is the situation:

The previous admin configured Exchange 2000 for the company, and now the server is acting very flakey (stability issues, weird rules, strange public folder securities). And I am bascially fed up with trying to keep this server up and running.

I want to build a new exchange 2000 server from the ground up, with all default rules and settings, and document all the changes that will be made, for future references.

Here is teh question:

Is it possible to move just the mailboxes and public folder, and leave all the bad configuration on the older server, so it doens't effect the new server?

I think its possible to migrate mailboxes between server, but I was not sure if "Server" specific configurations will also be carried over.

In addition, if I move users from lets say Exchange1 to Exchange2, is there any quick way to update their outlook to point to the new exchange server without having to go to each desk? Maybe a server changing script for Outlook?

Any insight or information will greatly be appreciated.

Ton

You should be able to bring up a new server and move the mailboxes without a problem. The microsoft recommended way to move the public folder info is to created replicas on the new server, let replication run and then take the old public server store offline. You will also have to rehome the system folders, offline address book server, rus. I just went through a month long issue with microsoft with public folders. I had to completely rebuild the mapi clients public folders and system folders. Also Outlook should update automatically one the move is complete. You would just have to close and reopen it.

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back