Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Only Admins can print

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 30, 2002
US
The problem is with a newly installed HP 1320n network interface printer (internal print server installed by IP address) and two Win2k workstations.

This is not a network connectivity issue. When logged on as administrator I can print. Nobody in the power users group can print. When, I add any member of the power users group to the administrators group at either workstation they can print. Obviously, anyone in the Power Users group should be able to, or even just users.

When I go to the printers folder, right click on the printer, open the security tab, the user is there as is the Power Users group, when I click the advanced button I can see that both have permission to print. Power Users should be able to add printers, but I can’t do that either.

Just be sure that there no conflicts I checked the permissions and security tabs on the hard drive. Both users are in the power users group. I don’t know where else to look; I’m stumped.

Not sure if this is applicable to your problem, but ...

I had something similar with a HP LJ 1320n on a Windows XP Pro workstation.

I noticed that the HP install had set the port up to print to a hostname (I think the name began with NSC). A configuration page from the printer showed that this was indeed the (built-in?) hostname of the device.

But this hostname was not in the HOSTS file on the workstation, so I've no idea how (under the administrative user) the name was being resolved.

I changed the properties of the port to use the actual IP address instead of the hostname, rebooted (not sure if this was necessary) and found that limited users could then print.

I also did the above, but the problem only arose from a Windows98se and a Win2k machine on a network of mostly XP machines. The XP machines were resolving the hostname issue, but the windows98 machine resolved the name only after installing the drivers/software that day. The next day, upon reboot, it had no idea how to resolve the hostname (unless the software was reinstalled and "found" the printer again).
As above, when I looked at the port it was pointing to, I realised HP had set it to a hostname, and instead I changed it directly to the printer's IP and it's worked from then on.
I've since gone in and clarified this to all my XP machines as well.
Pretty terrible out-of-the-box setting for HP to make default.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back