Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Only able to resolve own zone

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonPeh

MIS
Sep 11, 2002
SG
Greetings to ALL,

I had an external DNS which is able to resolve only its own zone declared in name.conf. It cannot resolve for example yahoo.com or another site except for its own zone in name.conf.

How could this be ? Is the DNS resolution blocked by a firewall ? or there is something wrong with the setting in my DNS ?

Any help will be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Cheers
SP

Hi SimonPeh: Did something happen to your DNS cache file?
Look in \winnt\system32\dns and you'll see a cache.dns file. open it with notepad and see whats on it. it'll tell you how to update it too. It should have all the high-end reslovers listed ( the ones for the internet). There is a backup copy in that folder too, so you can restore it if need be. Hope that helps..

Hi jjeffm,

Thank you for your email.
I'm using bind as my DNS server in a Sun solaris box. Could it be due to the db.cache file in /var/named ?

Appreciate any advice.

Many thanks

What in that cache file? i don't know anything about Sun but i'm still thinkin' that file is putzed somehow. Can you replace it? Can you read it? I know DNS needs the cache file to find the resolvers from, but how Sun does that...i leave to you It's possible your firewall is blocking the port, try turning it off for a minute, and see what happens? Sorry i can't be more help...

The DNS should be working else my own domain will not be able to be resolve by other DNS server.
I think it could be a firewall problem where they block my resolving from using the "forwarder" by using an external modem dial up network.

I will be checking with my network guys.

Anyway thanks you.

I did set my ISP 2 DNS server as a forwarders so any unresolve DNS resolution will be handled by the ISP.

I suspect it could be my firewall as those network guys like to block things which makes it difficult for me to trace.

Anyway since the zone in the named.conf can be resolve externally and it is able to propagate to the ISP DNS shows that the DNS should be working else my boss would be screaming that that the website is down !! =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back