Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Online webpage updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

BizzyLizzy

Technical User
Nov 3, 2003
AU
Hi All

I am hoping somebody can point me in the right direction.

I am currently building a website in php all works great. What I now would like to add to it is a members login area where once the member has logged in, he or she can then update their particular personal webpage for the site. (lol am I making any sense here!!).

I have been through the forums and have seen that this can be done but what I was not sure about was the method. For example - At the moment we have a webpage for the Western Australian members and a page for the South Australian members - currently I have to do the updates for these pages as and when they bother to send them to me. I would like to have the site so that the users could logon to their own area (WA or SA) and update their own page just by typing in the relevant text. As the site is built using php includes etc the individual area pages are nothing more than a title and some text.

Is this possible? Can anyone point me in the direction of some resources to help me do this? I have basic knowledge of php and also have managed to get the pw protection working fine.

Thanking you all in anticipation

Lizzy

use fopen, fread, fwrite etc.

put the text to edit into a textarea or an instance of fckeditor and then on form submission write the textarea back into the text file.

login scripts are all over the place: try hotscripts if you cant find one in this forum.

Thanks very much for the reply :)

login script was not a problem - I already had one for my registration and login pages for the download area.

I shall go away and have a play with all the fopen etc that you suggest - must admit (being only a basic php user!) that these are new ones on me - but at least now I know where to start looking.

Thank you thank you thank you :D

Not that easy!
MOST important.
Learn about validating form input
if your form process is not rock solid you might open the door for any sort of security threats

lol oh dear!

now you are talking advanced stuff arent you!

I will obviously have to research it then.

Have you thought about holding the data in a mysql database then calling it back when their hoempage needs to be displayed?

Richard

Have you thought of getting a package like Mambo which has all the coding done and you just have to configure it?

Hmmm now Mambo was certainly something I hadnt considered - I have just looked it up - it looks good doesnt it.

Rich - I thought about the mysql option but as I have no idea how much or even what sort of webpage they are going to want on their pages I didnt see any easy way of doing it.

Thanks for all your suggestions guys. You have all certainly given me much food for thought.

You could always have it store the html for thse pages in the database, or even have various text fields for them to complete. image uploading could also be handled there, writing the file into a folder that can then be called from the script.

Are they going to have complete control over the layout of the pages? If so I would go for the storing the html in the database, makig sure you tell them exactly where the images and any css have to be stores (so they can enter the correct path in the html).

If you are controlling the layout, just have the different fields store in the database, then it's really easy to pull it all back out and show the pages. You wouldn't have to worrry about them messing up the image locations then beause your script would control it.

Hope this helps.

Richard

Right I have just discovered that our website host already has mambo installed - so having had a play around with it - thats they way I am going to do it.

I just wanted to say thank you to you all for your replies - you have all been a great help.

Cheers

Lizzy

Always use what someone else sweated over when possible!

lol too right miros :). No point in reinventing the wheel after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back