Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Online router lab setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

wlanman

IS-IT--Management
Dec 25, 2002
US
Hi everyone,

I am trying to setup a free online router lab for my some of my students ( or whoever wants to use it). I dont want to charge anyone, but i do want them to be able to log in, sign up for time, and access the routers from their homes.

Here is the equiptment i have. 1 webserver, a pix 501, 1 2514 router, 4 2501 routers, and 1 1924 switch (setup with 2 vlans, 192.168.1.0 network and 192.168.2.0 network). The webserver is currently setup with a domain and is accessable from both the inside and outside networks ( the pix is setup to forward all port 80 requests to the webserver). It is currently setup with the pix connected to the internet (cable modem) that is pulliing an IP via DHCP. The pix then has one port going to the first vlan which provides internet connectivity to my desktop computers. The 2514 is connected to both the first and second vlan.

I want to be able to create a lab on the second vlan so that my students can telnet into the 192.168.2.0 network and access the 4 2501 routers. Here are my questions:

Should i create more vlans and put each router on a separate network?

Should i put all routers on the second vlan?

I want to allow my students to either telnet or ssh into the second vlan and program the routers without going into the first vlan.
Should i just deny all from the 192.168.2.0 network going into the 192.168.1.0 network?

I want the students to be able to log into the webserver and then be granted access to the routers. Is that possible? Is there software that will allow me to do this. Where should i place the webserver?

Does anyone have a similar setup that i can take a look at online or have a guide that i can look at?

I have been working on getting this equiptment for several months so that i can create this free service. Although the equiptment is kind of old, it may help some people who dont have access to real equiptment. Hopefully, as i get more money, i can add more equiptment. Anyhow, as always, thanks in advance for any and all who help.

I would offer a slightly different method..

internet--firewall---hub---router---LAN

The lab would sit off the hub and use a terminal server to connect to each piece. That way the student has a hard line to the equipment in case they get themselves into trouble :)

The router will be a firewall of sorts which access lists keeping folks out of the LAN. The firewall should have a static NAT map pointing either SSH or Telnet to the terminal server. A further method of security is to use a TACACS+ (free) server sitting on Linux acting as the authentication. In my case, the Linux box is behind the router with a static NAT allowing only that port through to that specific server.

Feel free to contact me offline for more details as we would take up pages and pages here :)

MikeS

Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

Hello MikeS,

I want to set up something similar to what wlanman wants to do, however I am not sure how to start.

I have 2 2501's, 1 4700 and 1 1912 and I have an ADSL connection to the internet. I also have a spare machine that can be used as a webserver or other, etc...

How can I contact you offline?

Ryan...

No problem.. send any email to webmaster at packetattack dot com

MikeS

Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back