Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Online reference recommendations? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonp45

Programmer
Aug 23, 2001
US
I'm a beginner in C-Sharp (with quite a bit of object-oriented VB6, VB.NET, VBScript, & SQL experience). I'm about halfway through an extensive C-Sharp book (Murach's C# 2005) and am trying to re-write a VB6 utility app I use. The app navigates to various files on my filesystem, moves them around, and logs the filenames and properties to an Access table.

I'd appreciate links to your favorite online resources, particularly a language reference, a reference for how to structure classes and handle programmatic flow, and perhaps some tutorials.

Thanks!

;-)

(great if you know what area of the framework you're looking in, otherwise it is a bit much to search. I've never looked at their tutorials)

have some good stuff too.

I think you can't beat a book for getting acquainted with the language. The online stuff helps me more for learning new ways to do things, and the more esoteric parts of the framework that don't necessarily get a lot of play in the "Learn Language X" books.

Hope this helps,

Alex

[small]----signature below----[/small]
Majority rule don't work in mental institutions

My Crummy Web Page

for the grueling details of c# i would recommend CLR via C#. the first 3 chapters are dull, but necessary. the remaining 10+ chapters are all about the basics of c#. not the M$ shortcuts.

for more on structing classes and program flow... this is language egnostic. I would recommend:
Domain Driven Design by Evans
Head First Design Patterns by Freeman & Freeman (java examples, but c# and java are very close in syntax)
Refactoring to Patterns by Kerievsky (java examples)
Anything by Martin Fowler

If you want to see some amazing examples of how to squeeze every ounce of power out of c# check out
Jason Meckley
Programmer
Specialty Bakers, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back