Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Online or Video training?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iolair

IS-IT--Management
Oct 28, 2002
US
I'm looking for any thoughts as to online or video training. Is it any good? I live in an area that is a six hour drive to any Cisco training center, and was wondering if anyone knew of good online training, or good video training that I can order that would be helpful. I'm looking at either IINS or ROUTE, but prefer IINS. Anyone use any of this and felt is was worthwhile? I do have a pretty good lab in the basement to work with, but it's a long way, and a steep hotel bill to go somewhere for a week and take a classroom course, although I'd prefer that, of course. (no pun intended)

Iolair MacWalter
Network Engineer

There is no need at the basic level for any type of training other then a few books, Route and iins are Both pro/entry level certs. A good route book and some practice is all you need. iins same thing. You can poke around the internetz and find some cbt and train signal stuff that is still pretty relevant.

CCNP

Thanks, ISPKing. I did that for my CCNA, and was successful. I got the Cisco books and have started studying. I am also going to update my lab some with newer IOS images and a couple of new routers.

Iolair MacWalter
Network Engineer

iolair,

The CBT Nuggets are very good for computer based training and videos and they have lots of FREE trials on their website as long as you register - with the free trials you can get a feel if these are for you because they are not cheap!!!

I personally have seen CBT Nuggets for MCSE and several CompTIA certs as well as CCNA and CCNP - all were very well done but would be used in addition to several good books and hands on labs :)

Hope this helps!!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Thanks, CiscoGuy33. I saw the CBT Nuggets, but wasn't sure if they were any good or not. I have the Boson exam engine with the exam as well.

Iolair MacWalter
Network Engineer

I've been using the CCVP Bootcamp class on demand from Internetwork Expert, and so far have found that it's been a great supplement to my studies. I did get to attend some of the live-online classes from Thompson when I was going through my CCNP, and they were great. But, I made certain I had read the sections in the book before the class so I could be asking good questions for the next class.

I have been seeing that INE and IPExpert have been starting to offer more stuff on the CCxP series. Think CCBootcamp was also starting to get into more of it. If nothing else, it's worth checking out the websites for what they have to offer.

But, don't try and bypass the books, or labs, like everyone says. Those have to be the #1 source for the learning IMO.

Absolutely. I have been reading, and I've been working on my lab. I hope to be able to do more than an hour a day on the lab soon. Thanks!

Iolair MacWalter
Network Engineer

Ipexpert and INE are good stuff but very expensive. I've spent almost 3k on my ccie studies with them

CCNP

I found a deal on the CCVP though (of course convinced work to pay for it too), but got just the CCVP series for like $495. $695, would have included the CCNA.

So far it's been pretty good too. A new product, so a few bugs in it, but overall been a great addition. Thing I like the best is it's not really a subscription thing so it goes away in a year. It's mine for good.

Only $3K? I think I've spent close to that on my lab.

Iolair MacWalter
Network Engineer

?? i have spent 7k on my lab. I am saying on books 3k.
And you are not at ccie level and 3k on books?

CCNP

Oh no, not on books. I misunderstood you. Not near ccie level. At one point I was thinking of ccie, but now I'm thinking either ccsp or maybe ccnp.

Iolair MacWalter
Network Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back