Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Online gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwaalen

MIS
Oct 11, 2002
US
Is there a security threat to a local network if users on LAN are playing games online. ALOT.

Besides the obvious bandwidth usage, there may be other considerations. Which games they are playing, what kind of security you have setup (firewall, router), In general, I wouldn't say that the games are a threat (assuming they are normal games, not freebie games from bad sites) but your LAN security is dependant on your vigilance.

Well, in the past few days I've been monitoring these users and they must be going to bad sites because they ended up getting 4 different trojan viruses on their PC. So i just disabled their internet access until further notice. I've warned them many times in the future that the internet is a tool for work not for play.

Thanks for your response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back