Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Online Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttraider

IS-IT--Management
Jun 17, 2002
US
Anyone here with online data backup experience?
Any recommendations of companies?
How about security of the data?
What happens if they go out of business overnight?

Thanks. Not sure whether to get a new backup system vs online backup. The old system just crashed.

I prefer a hybrid. I use StorageCraft to image my servers to a Datto Backup Device. the Datto then replicates offsite to redundant data centers. The datto encrypts the data and I also use the StorageCraft encryption option.

This way I have a local copy for quick recovery and I have an offsite copy for DR purposes.

They (Datto) even have some high end models that allow you to recover fully in a virtual environment in the data center.

Thanks mofusjtf. That is a great idea.

Anyone else?

Check out StorageCraft mixed with SymForm. Much, much cheaper and no need for a local appliance, unless you want to consider an extra external drive an appliance.

In general, I've had bad experiences with multiple cloud backup vendors (people reselling AhSay, Asigra, etc.). I don't think the technology is there yet. Slow up-pipes, problems with defrag, having to constantly ship reseed drives. Big pain. Usually the best prospect for a cloud backup client is someone with a decent up-pipe who has plenty of disk space on all volumes. If you try to set things up for a client who is likely to have to reorganize their local storage, moving shares around between disks, etc, that's not a good prospect.

I would say that new servers are good candidates, since they tend to be well provisioned for storage. That being said, I would definitely be using StorageCraft/Symform for costs and technology.

Dave Shackelford MVP
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back