Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

one-way audio on just two phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimcoo

MIS
Nov 26, 2009
CA
Hello:

I have a 3300 v7.0 and MBG v8.1.25
The phone sets are 5330e and 5340e
we communicate with outside numbers via a SIP line which is handled by the MBG

Recently we upgraded our firewall. After the upgrade, all but two of the 5330e phones work fine.
These two phones work okay when calling other phones on the LAN, but when calling outside numbers there is one-way audio. The outside person cannot be heard, but the person using the phone on our LAN can be heard by the outside person.

I don't want to change the firewall just for two phones, so I have tried erasing the firmware on the phones and letting it reinstall. That didn't help.
Any ideas on how to fix it?

I would perform a trace at the MBG of the call and then using wireshark, see if the both sides of the conversation are in the trace.

Best bet is that the 2 phones have something in common that is routing the packets incorrectly.

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

Update - I now have 3 phones that get one-way audio when you call outside numbers.

I did a MBG trace and looked at the output with wireshark, but I don't see anything suspicious. I am not very experienced with wireshark, but at least I did not see any error messages in the trace.

Hi
Have you add all the used networks under trusted networks in the MBG

How do I do that?
I don't see trusted networks in my MBG

I found the trusted networks setting, and it is correct for our network.

Reset the phone to defaults

Hold both volume keys
Release 1 vol key
dial 234
release 2nd vol key
Select No from options until - Tools and Features
Select No from options about 9 times until - Restore Default
Select yet to default and reset phone

I've restored default settings on the phones but it didn't work.

This behaviour started when we installed a new firewall, so we put the old firewall back. All the phones are working fine now. The firewall guy and I are both going on vacation and don't want to leave this issue still affecting phones. Besides, the new firewall was also causing problems with our web site. But we intend to put this new firewall back later next month.

So I am still looking for ideas of how to fix this. Here is some more information:

As well as having four sets on the LAN that had one-way audio, we also had 3 teleworker (out of about 80 in our company) sets with one-way audio. Replacing these teleworker sets did not help. I sent one user a TW phone that worked fine in my house, but not in hers. One of the teleworker users happened to have two internet providers, their TW set had one-way audio with Bell, but worked fine hooked up to Xplornet.

thanks

From the start it sounded like a routing issue.

If replacing the firewall back to old hardware and config resolved the issue, it's fair to say that the firewall is the issue.

I doubt very much if anything on the phones is contributing to the issue.

My firewall guy made some changes to firewall settings and put the new firewall back in place. He tested the phones that had given us one-way audio and they worked okay.
However, since then, we have discovered 2 LAN phones that get one-way audio on outside calls, and one teleworker phone that gets one-way audio on all calls. And these are totally different phones that the ones that gave us trouble the first time. Different ip addresses.
Any ideas of what is going on here?
Thanks,

It seems to me a network security problem.
Are the IP Addresses rage of these phones differ than others?
Solution 1, Check the phones on different network node and then see what happens.
Solution 2, Connect the phones directly to your 3300 controller Lan 2 (using a POE) and then test the phones.

I`ve has this before I cannot remember the firewall product but the only way to make it work was the firewall had to be configured with a 1:1 NAT

If its not broke tweak it..

Thanks for the comments, but it turns out that there is a hardware issue with the new firewall.
So right now the old firewall is back in place, all phones are working fine, and we are waiting for parts to arrive....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back