Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

One Table in Two Databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamchemist

Programmer
Mar 2, 2009
US
I have another Access Newbie question. I have tried searching these Access forums for this, as I suspect it has been asked and answered before, but any way I try to search my question I get 1000 hits.

I would like to know if there are any problems with having one Table of data present in two Access Databases. Will this Table update normally from both databases? Will both databases see all of the updates in the Table, when they deal with it via a Form or Report?

Thank you in advance for your help,

Ron

There is no problem with this type of setup. You will see all of the updates as if you had multiple of the same front end pulling for a single back end file. An open form will not display new records without a requery or Close/Open.

Duane
Minnesota
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP 2001-2016

If the table is physically in a central location on the networked and linked in multiple databases (Classic backend / frontend or split database), then yes this is more or less true.

As Duane mentioned you may have issues with cached data and the form not picking up the change with out forcing it to query / requery the data.

Duane and lameid,

Thanks very much for both the info. and the warning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back