Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

one size fits all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manning

MIS
Sep 13, 1999
GB
Hey Guys,
I run a website called scifi-design.com. I have designed it so its supposed to be best viewed at 1026 768, which seems to be standard. However I get people logging on with much higher resolutions, and have told me that my website is stuck in the corner of the screen. Is there any way I can alter the site so it suits all resolutions and fills the screen?
Cheers

I have designed it so its supposed to be best viewed at 1026 768, which seems to be standard.
First of all, 1024 x 768 may be the most common size, but you have to account for the width of the browser 'chrome' as well, so your initial size must be smaller than that to avoid scroll bars. You have a number of ways to adjust to the larger browser windows (see HTML/CSS faq faq215-4537 for one way to determine size and change CSS with JavaScript).
I, on the other hand, would simply center the content using css like in The Noodle Incident - centered

Also, your splash page is pretty much a waste - you'll confuse the search engines as you have zero content there.

(And I know lots of people who still surf with browser windows smaller than full screen).

Greg
"Personally, I am always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught." - Winston Churchill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back