Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

One simple question !

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmaljeno

IS-IT--Management
Sep 13, 2000
HR
Ok.
I know the basics of a VPN. I know it enables the computers to see each other over the internet like they are on a local network and there is where my knowledge stops.
Where do i start and what software do i use.

I will have one NT server with a 24 hour open line to the internet, and about 10 clients (NT workstations) that will need to connect to the server over a dialup connection.

HELP [sig][/sig]

If you have some funding, the answer is to install Checkpoint FW-1 as a Single Gateway. You purchase this with the needed number of licenses for the seats behind the firewall. The remote machines require SecuRemote which is free with your license and is all you need to set up the VPN tunnels. I have found FW-1 to be a very robust and scalable product. It is also excellent for NAT. I am currently running, at one of my clients, 10 different RFC1918 internally routed segments behind a single gateway w/ multiple road warriors connecting from ISPs all over the country to their network. This is the answer, if you have funding, because FW-1 is not cheap, nor is the training to configure. Installation is a breeze, but configuration can be tricky. An alternative is to go with a Cisco PIX, but they aren't cheap either. I think in your scenario, the FW-1 would be more cost-effective. I am pretty sure that there are other alternatives, but these are the two that I am familiar with.

Good Luck,
Joe [sig]<p>Joseph Baugh<br><a href=mailto:jbaugh@afabsolutions.com>jbaugh@afabsolutions.com</a><br><a href= & WAN/LAN consultants</a><br>_____)\_____ Fins to the left, Fins to the right _____/(______<br>
There's a feeding frenzy on your network tonight.<br>
[w/ apologies to Jimmy Buffett, patron saint of all Parrotheads][/sig]

Help on setup can be found at wown.com, Also search the Microsoft Knowledge Base for some how-to's. You probably don't need a software solution for VPN access though you will need a firewall. [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back