Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

One Of The Tabs Missing Under Device Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

FS

Technical User
Oct 5, 2001
GB
My problem started when I updated my drivers for my ATI Radeon Graphics Card. I had not followed the installation instructions closely. Somthing has been removed from device manager. In the system properties there is a "Other Devices" tab that has a tab with unknown device and a exclamation mark next to it. It use to have three tabs under "Other Devices". One of the tabs use to say "mass storage controller" a few months ago when I installed the Promise Ultra 100 IDE Controller. I have ATA 100 motherboard. The instructions are to select the mass storage controller (which use to be there but now has a exclamation mark next to it) and update the driver. I am not sure what has been deleted but every time I remove this "Unknown Devices" tab and reboot windows wants to re-install it. I have searched the
Win98 SE CD but have not been able to fix the problem. Would this effect my CD Rom and CD burner as I get BSOD every now and again when it cant read a CD in either devices. The BSOD says somthing about VXD which I know to be Virtual Device Drivers. Help, I promise I will pay attention next time.
Thank You for any help.

PS. Through hardware detect, my modem that I already have installed is detected. The error under "Unknown Devices" has a 28 error code saying that the drivers are not installed. Windows gives no clue to what this unknow device is????
FS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back