Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

One linked server succeeds while others fail to same server

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcaulder

Programmer
Apr 22, 2002
US
I have an environment with 42 remote subscribers and am trying to create linked server connections from my subscribers to my publisher server so I can run queries from subscribers. I am able to successfully create linked servers from some subscribers but not others. All of the SQL Servers for the subscribers are the same version(SQL Express 2008). The error I receive is simply a 'timeout expired' when trying to create the linked server. The message also says that the "remote server may not be configured to allow data access" however I know that isn't true since it is working correctly for some servers. Any ideas on what I can check to determine why some servers can create the link but others cannot? Is there something that would block specific servers from creating a link while allowing others?

TIA!

What do the updates look like on the different servers? We had a problem that the latest round of MS updates keep machines with the update from talking to (through SQL) a machine without updates.

Did the updates on the outlier and all is well.

Note that I could ping both ways successfully.

djj
The Lord is my shepherd (Psalm 23) - I need someone to lead me!

We have different servers in our environment ranging from Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2008. The publisher or server I am trying to link to is Windows Server 2008. All subscribers are running the same SQL Server versions(SQL Express 2008) while publisher is running SQL Server 2008 Enterprise.

I am trying to extend the functionality of an update tool I wrote to allow the remote server to pull updates from the publisher outside of replication. I have successfully created linked servers from publisher to all subscribers without problem. It is from subscriber to publisher that only works on a few servers.

While I was typing this I was able to determine that using IP address instead of server name allowed the linked server connection to succeed on some(probably all) of those that were failing. I am trying to determine what the underlying cause of this is at the moment...

In my experience....

When computer name doesn't work, and IP Address does, it is usually a problem with DNS. I don't know a lot about DNS but I would encourage you to investigate it.

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop
twitter
"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Yes, I got with my network admin and he confirmed that "host files were not correctly delivered to those machines as part of their original image". It is a DNS issue and I am by no means an expert on that either.

Since the IP address works, the problem is resolved and I at least can move forward with my real task.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back