Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

One form for both data entry and to search existing records.

Status
Not open for further replies.

carmenlisa

Technical User
Feb 9, 2012
US
I have a data input form that is very straight-forward.

I would like the user to be able to enter a name in the same form and be able to look up to see if there is already a record for that name. Is there an easy way to do this?

Trying to think this through, it is possible there will be more than one record for that name. That is, the same person may have had more than one "transaction" in the past. Seeing all records for the name being searched for, with several fields showing in the result of the search, would surely be helpful. (By additional fields, I am thinking the date of the "transaction", a transaction number, something that would let the user pick which existing record they want to see/edit.

And, thinking out loud, so to speak, if they are unsure whether a relevant record exists, once the user sees the options of existing records to select from, I would think that they need the option to either select an existing record to see/edit, or to begin a new record. And, of course, if there are aspects that I am not thinking of, I am open to any and all relevant advice.

I have some experience in VBA but am by no means an expert in it.

Thank you

Is the form continuous?
Would adding a combo box of "names" in the form header that could be used to filter records work for you?
How many names and transactions are there?

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

I personally like to divide this up. One form for viewing and navigating, and one form to add records, edit, or show details for that record.
So like Duane says the one form would have a combox of names, and a continous form of transactions. It would filter the records of that person in the combobox. The continous form would have a few pertinent fields to provide insight to identify the record. Depending on the complexity of data verification, I normally do not make these records editable. The user has to click on a transaction and it will pop up in a single form view. Then this pop up allows editing or viewing of record details. Normally I open this form as dialog. On the original form there would be a button to pop open this same form but in an add new record mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back