Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

One folder taking forever to come up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arin

ISP
Nov 6, 2003
US
Okay, I'm troubleshooting a 5-computer network connected to a server, XP all around. Everything on the network works fine except for this one directory on the server that contains roughly 30,000 files - there is a roughly 90 second lag between opening this directory and being able to see the files in it. I've tried adding IPX and NetBEUI protocols to the mix with 0 effectiveness, sadly the client's not interested in chopping the directory up into smaller ones.

Any thoughts?

Arin,

You might try a file indexing app like google desk top or others. Being pre-indexed might open faster

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

Any clues in these?

Slow network browsing in Windows XP

High rate of collisions on 100-megabit networks

Test your MTU: Use DrTCP to set the appropriate MTU value:
Mapped Drive takes forever to open in XP!
thread779-935638

Speed up Network Browsing
Thread96-664508

814112 - Files on Network Shares Open Slowly or Read-Only or You Receive an Error Message

Are there a combination of virus scanners set to scan "all" files on the XP's or Server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back