Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

One DNS multiple servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

w1nn3r

ISP
Sep 12, 2001
US
Heres the problem. I have a single DNS i want to route traffic to, But i have 3 servers(On 3 different ISP's) that i want to distribute that traffic to. We all run linked chat servers, And want everyone to join through irc.mydomain.com. But i can only point that to a single IP address. Another problem we have is, That one of the servers that is linked is the server that irc.mydomain.com is pointing to. So i have all the servers listening on higher ports, But that still doesnt help me with my load balancing issue. I can alias out different names (chat.mydomain.com, irc.mydomain.com, ircd.mydomain.com) But we want all clients to join through a single point.

Hi,

Did you try to add 'A' or 'CNAME' records with the @IP of each of your servers - Let suppose the names of your servers are srv1, srv2 and srv3.
Let suppose thier @ip are :
srv1 - 192.x.x.1
srv2 - 192.x.x.2
srv3 - 192.x.x.3

Add 3 host records 'A' to your DNS Domain :
srv1.mydomain.com 192.x.x.1
srv2.mydomain.com 192.x.x.2
srv3.mydomain.com 192.x.x.3

Then add 3 CNAME records pointing to your 3 servers :
irc.mydomain.com => srv1.mydomain.com
irc.mydomain.com => srv2.mydomain.com
irc.mydomain.com => srv3.mydomain.com

Then let Round Robin work for you. If your DNS is round robin compatible then each request will send a different @IP for irc.mydomain.com

Didn't test it, hope it will works :)

Franck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back