Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Onboarding Checklist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draeus

Technical User
Jan 21, 2013
US
I figured there would be one out there somewhere, but maybe I'm using the wrong search terms to find it. Basically our last install was at a business that shouldn't have been down as long as it was, but due to some changes on the customer side (not much we could do about that) and not getting all the info I needed at the beginning, it was a rough install. Everything got fixed and the customer is happy, but it showed us we still need to work on the process.

So what I'm wondering is if anyone has a whole process onboarding checklist they would like to share. From before install (finding out exactly what the customer needs and what we'll have to work with, programming as much as possible before install), to install, to post install (instruction in phone usage, tweaking changes to programming that are inevitable, etc) to make the transition as smooth as possible.

Thanks as always for the info!

That's a tough one. Everyone has their own process, and it's usually proprietary.

-Austin
ACE: Implement IP Office
qrcode.png

I know it will be different for every customer, but there are a lot of general things for every install. Mostly the pre-install stuff:

What kind of incoming lines will we be using (POTS, PRI, SIP)
Where is the incoming point of entry
What cards are needed for the Avaya unit to handle incoming lines and end user lines
What licenses will be needed
Where will the Avaya unit be installed
Pathway from incoming to Avaya
How many users
Trace and label all phone locations from end user to where they are currently terminated
What type of phones will be used (IP, analog, digital)
Which model(s) of phones will be installed
If IP phones, access to DHCP server for putting IP rules in
Names and extensions needed
Features needed on all phones and per user
Headsets needed?
If headsets already in use, will they be compatible with new phones
etc.

I have a pretty good start on the checklist (there is more, but my notes aren't handy at the moment), but as many of you have been through installs many more times than I, I was hoping someone would have a more comprehensive list that would catch things I haven't ran into yet.

Again, all help is appreciated!

IP address of call server, any other servers.
Preferences for night mode greeting.
License class of user.
Users email addresses, mobiles and extension numbers.
Call barring.
Button user rights groups.
SMTP settings for alarms and VM.
Directory.
Special 1800 or 13 numbers and their destination.

Dulce et decorum pro Avaya mori

While I'm just an end-user, I'm keen to follow this thread as 'onboarding' or 'template-ing' processes is a passion of mine.

Checklists and templates, when done correctly, make huge, positive impacts! They're also crucial for "leaving a trail of bread crumbs" in case aspects need to be reversed/reverted. The onboarding process helps to establish the "that's just the way we've always done it" way things were working prior to getting involved, and then -most crucially- to help differentiate between what the customer is asking for versus "what are the after"! My favorite anecdote was of the guy walking up and down the aisles of hardware store - he was 'asking for' a drill bit; he's 'after' a hole!

@Draeus - I used Mind Mapping to great success in creating my templates, checklists - I highly, highly recommend it for all sorts of endeavors! Here's a quick precis on it:

IP 500 V1 8.1(63)
VMPro 8.1.9016
46/5610s, 46/5621+25s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back