Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Onboard RAID Configuration Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

suseli

Technical User
Dec 9, 2005
GB
Im building a home server for my personal uses. I have purchased a motherboard which has onboard 2xide connectors which supports RAID 0, RAID 1.

I have 2x80gb hard drive & 1 dvd-rw.

I want to configure 2 hard-drives as RAID 1 (mirroring), Is it alright to connect both hard drives on ide1 and make 1 master n other slave, then configure the RAID. So that i can connect dvd-rw on ide2.

Do i have to configure the RAID first then install the operating system(win server 2003) or i can configure raid after os installation?

Much appreciate for help.

Do i have to configure the RAID first then install the operating system(win server 2003) or i can configure raid after os installation?

Yes. You assemble the array in BIOS, there will be a prompt like "Press F4 to enter RAID Controller BIOS" and there you will select your drives. Make sure they are formatted first.

You should be given options as to which drives are available for use and which type of RAID you want to use. Once the array is created, then you load windows, taking care to ensure you have any necessary RAID drivers for Windows install on a floppy or flash drive. Then, press F6 when you boot from CD. I start tapping the F6 key as soon as the disc starts loading.

Making a driver disk instructions should be included w/ your mainboard, and may not even be necessary for an IDE array. I would use both IDE slots as Master for RAID1, run the DVD as a slave, but it should work the way you describe. I have not built an IDE array in many moons.

Best of luck!

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back