Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

on winxp, only works with admin rights...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastakilla

Programmer
Nov 18, 2003
BE
HI,

I have a problem, we've developped a software that works fine on win2k, but it needs administrator rights to work on winxp.....

What does the program do?
Well, once installed, it is located in its own directory, there is an .exe file that controls the COM1 port in order to extract an image file(.bin) from an external device. The image file is then sent to a .dll located in the program's directory. The program then retrieves some info from a MS Access database to decode the image file....

What could be the problem? it works on winxp only if you loggin as admin, I don't really see what rights would we need to run it if we loggin with another account.....

If anybody has a hint, please let me know, and if more technical details are needed, I will provide them.

Thank you so much in advance, see ya soon

> What could be the problem?
No idea - try debugging it a little.

Like if you comment out the DLL/Database bit, does it successfully fetch the file from the COM port?

Once you know exactly which step(s) of the process are lacking in permissions, then perhaps a better way forward can be suggested.

This is probably better continued on the vc++ forum

--

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back