Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

On Startup, Network Connections hangs for 10 min, then fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamhutton

IS-IT--Management
Nov 12, 2002
US
Help, I'm going mad over this problem.
- XP SP2, office 2003 w/ biz contact mgr, and McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8 is just about all that's running.

My machine will load windows, login fine. But it takes about 5 to 10 minutes before you can open network connections (The service just seems to hang). As soon as I login, windows says that Windows firewall is disabled (it isn't) and after about 10 minutes it goes away, it's enabled, and everything seems to work fine.

One thing, My machine will not browse a network. I can access other computers via \\192.168.1.4 but not by \\computername <-so something is awry with the master browser, I just can't figure out what.

If I hibernate, and start it back up, this problem doesn't happen at all.

-Anybody else have similar problems???

Thanks, Adam

I found it is the McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.0.0 that's screwing everything up.

Now i've just got to figure out what would be causing mcafee to cause such an initial slowdown. Is there any way to disable it's network scanning features one by one??

Likely there is a provision for your local subnet, as a privileged zone.

Right click your LAN connection icon in the Status/Notification Bar. Left click "Status".

Now make the provisions for 192.168.xxx.xxx or whatever is require for your local LAN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back