Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

On-premise 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 22, 2000
AU
I've seen this term used more and more lately as the opposite to "off-site".

It doesn't sound right to me. As far as I know there is not a singular form of the term "premises" when applied to a place?

Annihilannic
[small]tgmlify - code syntax highlighting for your tek-tips posts[/small]

That, of course may just be your premise [smile]. I would dislike premise as a false singular of premises, but I equally dislike the use of 'accommodations' when 'accommodation' works fine.

Are not 'accomdations' what you make when people are wrong but you let it pass? :)

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

==> It doesn't sound right to me.
Me neither. On-premise sounds like on topic. Premise is a singular noun and premises its plural, but with respect to location, only the plural applies since the premises is not only the land, but all the improvements, buildings, and such on the land. In that context, premises is a plural noun because it is a collection of things. The singular premise is an assertion or a supposition, but you can also have multiple premises that form the foundation of an argument. The singular form has only one definition, but the plural form has multiple definitions. It would be interesting to learn how that came to be.

I don't have any issue with a singular accommodation vs multiple accommodations.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. - Plato

What's wrong with on-site and off-site?

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

In the telephone industry we use this quite frequently.

On premise equipment and Customer premise equipment. Due to the frequency of use, both sound fine to me.

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

Why make up an English phrase when there is a perfectly good Latin one already available?

In situ.

kwbMitel... ah, so that's where the error comes from. :)

Annihilannic

==> On premise equipment and Customer premise equipment.
Do you also say the equipment is on premise? Or that the equipment is on Customer premise?
Do either of those sound correct to you?

--------------
Good Luck
FAQ181-2886
Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. - Plato

interesting
I am also in the Telecom Industry but I would say customer Premiss.
I suspect this may be another age related example of the way the English language is evolving (unfortunately too often Americanisms picked up from too much imported Television :-( )

A Maintenance contract is essential, not a Luxury.
Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

The short form for Customer Premise Equipment is CPE. I would not say the equipment is on the customer premise. When I worked for Bell, I would say that CPE is undervalued by Bell Head office and that their focus is too much on Stream (recurring revenue). Another way it might come up is to say that this customer is utilizing a Hosted Voip Solution rather than using on premise equipment. As I said before, The usage is so common as to make this sound normal to me. I would never have thought otherwise.

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

The USA is notorious for using many long words when short ones would suffice.

from a PBX I work on

US: Allocated Answer Interval

UK: No-Answer Time

I guess this is a cultural thing, although DDI V DID is not so clear cut.

We do use the abreviation CPE but I would still translate as Customer Premisis Equipment.

Right or wrong I do not know.

A Maintenance contract is essential, not a Luxury.
Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

==> I would not say the equipment is on the customer premise.
Neither would I. I would say the equipment is on customers premises. (I would also use the possessive form for customer - on customer's premises.) In any event, the fact that you would not say that in the subject. Regardless of whether the adjective phrase precedes the noun in the subject (on customer premise equipment) or it's a predicate adjective phrase, (equipment is on customer premises), the adjective phrase should be the same. The location of the adjective doesn't change the wording of the adjective.

==> We do use the abreviation CPE but I would still translate as Customer Premisis Equipment.
I agree, but again, with a possessive customer: customer's premises equipment.

--------------
Good Luck
FAQ181-2886

CajunCenturion said:
It would be interesting to learn how that came to be.

premise (n.)
late 14c., in logic, "a previous proposition from which another follows," from O.Fr. premisse, from M.L. premissa (propositio) "(the proposition) set before," fem. pp. of L. praemittere "send or put before," from prae "before" + mittere "to send". In legal documents it meant "matter previously stated" (early 15c.), which in deeds or wills often was a house or building, hence extended meaning of "house or building, with grounds" (1730). The verb meaning "to state before something else" is from 1520s.
source:
Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

well to throw more telecom in:

US Route
UK Trunk

Never give up never give in.

There are no short cuts to anything worth doing :)

You'll get me started on the "root" versus "rowt" pronunciations next!

Annihilannic

or route is spoken root in some places. In IT same say Rooter not Router (like the timber tool)

Never give up never give in.

There are no short cuts to anything worth doing :)

That's exactly what I'm talking about. I pronounce a network router as "rooter". The route I take from A to B is my "root". A "rowter" router is a tool a carpenter uses to make fancy edges on tables. And an army routing the enemy forces is "rowting".

Annihilannic

Now that I think of it, I pronounce "route" differently, depending on the context. I say "What rowt did you take to work?" but "Root 66".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back