Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

On placing text in frames 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

uzapuca

Technical User
Dec 29, 2004
AR
Hi guys,

1 - How do i unlink or break a couple of text frames linked together?

I read i have to use the selection tool, but the link keeps going on...

2 - Can i place an automated text to flow in separated columns? It does it in only one column.

Thanks for any info!

Sebastian

1. Use the select tool, select a frame, copy and paste in front, the link is then broken but the text remains in that copied frame as it appeared when it was linked. You can then delete the frame behind.

2. Your text frame requires two columns, command/control + B for the text frame options and change the columns value.

Andrew

Apepp,

Thanks for a fast answer!

1 - I did fine. Thanks!

2 - I can make Command+B for text frame options, but where i tell it to be "separated" or individual columns? Usually when i have to columns separated by a gutter it will just one box with 2 columns. I would like them to be individual columns.

Any idea?

2. Command + B will only create a two column text box (single frame) which is what i thought you were referring to...

...if you want individual frames, then you have to link two frames together via the "in" and "out" ports of the text frames using the command key (whilst using the text tool) or by clicking on these ports with the selection tool, then clicking on a target frame...

...choose view > show text threads, will help identify linked frames...

Andrew

Hi apepp,

I do understant what you are saying on two colum text box, a single frame. But...Since there is a way to Place a very long text, with autoflow by using the File > Place steps to load the text into the cursor and Holding down the Shift key, to the autoflow text cursor...

Is there any possible way to put the autoflow of a LONG text by default in separted and individual columns?

Can that be done?

...text frames linked together on a master page, in sequence if you have left and right masters for spreads...

...select first page in palette, import text, shift key, flows into the master frames, and continues until you run out of text...

Andrew

Thanks for the tip apepp,

Sorry for my confussion, i might explain myself wrong. Anyhow english is not my native language as you can read.

I am sending you a picture to explore the 2 posibilities. Can the top one be done with autoflow?

How can i set the document so it will understand when autoflowing text that i want separated columns?

Sorry about so many questions...

...for autoflow to work indesign needs to know what text frames to use, this is performed by using master pages, on the master pages you need to manually link together custom text frames (in sequence from left page to right page if using spreads)...

Andrew

Thanks for the info Apepp,

Very good tip! I will try it now.

Good Hollidays,

Sebastian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back