Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

on-line graphic design training

Status
Not open for further replies.

boyfromoz

Technical User
Feb 1, 2001
AU
Can anyone advise of a good on-line graphic design course?

I want to learn photshop 6, principles of design, logos and branding and flash?

I need to do it on my own schedule(3 kids + existing business)

Anyone?

I have gone to the following site to help tutorials, not too bad:

This might help you a bit, as for learning photoshop, you almost have to sit down and mess around with it until you know it. Try going to a search engine and type in Photoshop Tutorials and try a bunch of listed sites.

Nate There is a solution to everything!
If something can't be done, then
it just means the solution has yet
to be discovered!

Not really after tutorials on usage, thought hat's part of it. More after design based tutorials on using photosho0p.

Not much point in me knowing what everything does, unelss I can get some ideas on how to practically and artiscally apply them.

For example. How do I design a logo? How do I make something actually look good.

Have look at The site is pretty crap, but the front page graphic design is simple and tight. I ahve no idea what principles to apply to my software knowledtge to make something like this come together.

That is what I ened. graphic design AND software help, not jsut software tutorials.

One of the best and easiest ways to get some good graphic design knowledge is to search the web looking for sites and designs that look good, clean, and professional and then trying to recreate them(for practice only). To do this however, you must first know how the software works. So, the above advice on tutorial sites is very sound. Check out - - for some good foundation building tutorials and links to other resources. Good luck!
Cheers-Frank

I think that looking at what others have done is a really good way of improving. As an example, look at the Sony site below.

This is a very clean and fast loading site. I thought that the moving text was Flash or some tricky stuff but it turned out to be dead simple, using Fireworks.

Find some things you like and analyse them to see what's good and what's not. It's not really something that can be taught.

And don't forget the KISS principle-Keep It Simple Stupid- though this sounds impolite, it's very true.

HTH

Mike €€

Try having a look at some of the 'trendy' design sites as well, for example: This has hints / tips + links to other v. cool sites; plenty of ideas! (And, if you're like me, it'll drive you mad trying to do anything anywhere nearly as good!)

=)

PetitPal

Also, let me add one more thing to my post, if you want to learn how to creat a good logo, that is clean and professional, and you don;t know how to start, I suggest going to your local bookstore, and picking up a photoshop book can be quite pricey. If you can;t afford one of those books, see if your local library might bew ablt to order it in, and go through the steps of how each component of photoshop. There are many ways acheiving a common goal, perhaps knowing your opions is part of the solution.

Give it a try!

Trying to know photoshop fully is almost impossible (unless your a certified Adobe Photoshop expert), you must take it slowly and have a lot of patience with it, and if time isn;t on your side, see if you can't locate someone locally who might be able to assist you or take a night course sponsored by your local College, that is what I'm doing.

Good luck

Nate There is a solution to everything!
If something can't be done, then
it just means the solution has yet
to be discovered!

Thanx for all the help everyone. I've done a fair of of peeking at different sites, and done a fair bit of trying to re0create effects with varying degress fo success. I guess I was looking for a way to tie it all togethor.

Software use+ design principles, + techiniques to use when etc, Given me a start.

I wil comment on surfstation. Ok. Looks pretty good, but loads slow and is set only for 1024 res. Maybe that's what their target audience uses but 70% still use 800 res so it seems like bad design to me.

Nippi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back